LOST Finale Breaks BitTorrent Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
It's too bad the finale was such a disappointment. They left so many things unanswered, and the route they took for the story resolution was so very unsatisfying (I know I'm being vague, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers).

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Will the media companies ever learn? We are in the digital age, we have internet on our phones, we want instantaneous access to content and easy access to content. Why don't the media companies provide it already? Why do people need to resort to downloading TV shows and movies? Why isn't there a better way provided by media companies already? I just don't get them ...

Wake up to the digital age people!!!

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
"Of course, for those who just can't bring themselves to load up BitTorrent, What They Died For and the first half of The End can be seen (with limited commercial interruptions) online here: http://www.tv.com/lost/show/24313/episode.html ."

Unless you're among the 96.6% percent of the world's population that doesn't live in the United States. ABC was right about one thing: delaying the finale outside the US is just asking people to use bittorrent.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I loved season 1 but then it got confusing and I lost interest very quickly on season 2. I haven't touched "LOST" since season 2 and not planning to.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
A show requires you to think, instead of telling you everything or showing a bunch of worthless skanks shaking their body parts, and you believe it to be a "disappointment"? While I was never a big fan of Lost, but I did like the fact that is was not another trashy "reality" TV show.

Gulli: It's 95.47%.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]I loved season 1 but then it got confusing and I lost interest very quickly on season 2. I haven't touched "LOST" since season 2 and not planning to.[/citation]
The first and second seasons I thought were pretty good.. But the third and fourth seasons dragged a bit, I think because of the writers strike going on at the time. A lot of shows got hit hard by that one.. Thankfully Heros was just starting up and was bad ass.. But once Heros started its own decline, LOST really pick it up again.. Ive enjoyed these last few seasons of LOST and I liked the way it ended.. At least they did end it..

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I would love to hear the justification for this one. Illegal downloaders are never short of bogus excuses but I am excited to see what nonsense they can come up with to justify torrenting a TV show that was just show on live television and available online for free at ABC.com.

I honestly don't know what it is worse. You idiots who are illegally downloading this stuff or you idiots who are applauding the individuals who are illegally downloading this stuff.

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I would love to hear the justification for this one. Illegal downloaders are never short of bogus excuses but I am excited to see what nonsense they can come up with to justify torrenting a TV show that was just show on live television and available online for free at ABC.com. I honestly don't know what it is worse. You idiots who are illegally downloading this stuff or you idiots who are applauding the individuals who are illegally downloading this stuff.[/citation]

You know, ABC online is only available if you are physically in the US. I look forward to the day when television networks open up their online wieving to the world, either through the affiliates in other countries, or directly. Piracy of TV shows will decrease considerably -- and ABC will get its add dollars too, it would be a win-win situation.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I would love to hear the justification for this one. Illegal downloaders are never short of bogus excuses but I am excited to see what nonsense they can come up with to justify torrenting a TV show that was just show on live television and available online for free at ABC.com. I honestly don't know what it is worse. You idiots who are illegally downloading this stuff or you idiots who are applauding the individuals who are illegally downloading this stuff.[/citation]

Okay, here goes... the lame excuse is they did not want to wait the 4.5 hours before the finale appeared on Hulu. (Something I almost did - wouldn't it be awesome if these shows were available just after they were played on-air?)

Alternatively, they live outside the US and did not want to pay for a proxy service or risk using a free proxy service AND wait 4.5 hours to watch the finale.

As I said, lame excuse - but you just wanted to hear the justification.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006

Wow, nice. Aside from copyright issues, what impact is there to have someone download the show? Especially when they can't even watch it on the provided internet stream since they live outside the US. You know, back in the day, people would 'bittorrent' illegal shows all the time, on VHS, by recording them (and sometimes even dubbing out the commercials) and passing them along to their friends. Were you up in arms about that, too?

If the media companies want to get ahead in life, they will release a proprietary h264 based player (multiplatform of course), and freely publish the airing of the episode right after it's done on TV. The dub will have commercials inline, it will only play on the special player, and they will *want* you to bittorrent it. Think about it, the companies don't even have to pay for bandwidth, they just let the people distribute it amongst themselves, watch away, and hope the commercials stick.

There is no perfect solution to piracy, countermeasures have been done to death. What they could do, if they were smart, is see what the pirates really want (easy to get, easy to watch media) and work to get their fingers into that pie. The record industry is a laughingstock for their completely futile attempts to stonewall against the pirates, and it's high time someone figured this s*!@ out and made some money on it.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006

One other thing. Last I tried it, the stream quality from ABC.com *sucked hard*. It's not even worth comparing to watching it live on broadcast HD, or watching a pirated dub. I tried to watch a few ABC shows, got so disgusted at the quality, and resolved to either watch them live, pirated, or not at all. Someone, please let me know if the streaming has gotten any better.

ElCdt

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
The plot in "Lost" had lost me after season 2, pun intended. It started nice, but when the smoke monsters, time travels, and moving islands started to come up, they "lost" me as a viewer.
I have way more exciting things to do, like rearranging my sock drawer.

zmbcat

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]I was kind of hoping they would end LOST like they ended Monte Python and the Holy Grail. Ah well...[/citation]
hahah made me lough, would be a fitting ending for this wtf show. Whats so good about it anyway, one of worst things i have ever seen. It started off quite interesting, people trying to survive in island after plane crash..a little after it turned into a soap opera straight from asylum. Boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.