lost in tv land

Solution
i however would recommend buying a sony (or samsung or lg in that order). they (sony) are one of very few brands which actually have repair parts available. try finding a part for a vizio and you will see my point.

vizio is a disposable cheap tv and while better than olevia and emerson is still rubbish. if you just need something cheap which works then go ahead and buy one but if you want something you plan on keeping for awhile i would suggest buying a better brand.

scott... for what purpose do you want a tv? what features do you want it to have?
console gaming?
blueray/dvd?
roku/internet tv?
pc use?
3d?
what are your thoughts on 60hz/120hz/240hz?
do you require internet tv?
what kind of cables do you need to connect... hdmi...

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I like Costco. They extend the manufacturer's warranty by 1 year and offer a return policy for 90 days no questions asked. And they have a reasonable selection. Personally, I would stay away from SONY unless you don't mind paying too much. I bought a Vizio about a year ago which has been perfect.

EDIT: I strongly urge you to NOT order a TV over the internet.

i however would recommend buying a sony (or samsung or lg in that order). they (sony) are one of very few brands which actually have repair parts available. try finding a part for a vizio and you will see my point.

vizio is a disposable cheap tv and while better than olevia and emerson is still rubbish. if you just need something cheap which works then go ahead and buy one but if you want something you plan on keeping for awhile i would suggest buying a better brand.

scott... for what purpose do you want a tv? what features do you want it to have?
console gaming?
blueray/dvd?
roku/internet tv?
pc use?
3d?
what are your thoughts on 60hz/120hz/240hz?
do you require internet tv?
what kind of cables do you need to connect... hdmi? component?
do you know about the difference between ccfl backlighting and led backlighting?
do you know about led ledge backlighting vs grid array backlighting?
do you know the difference between plasma and lcd as far as visual performance is concerned?

get back to us on this.

as far as places to go...

best buy, hhgregg, sears, microcenter, walmart (though they tend to only have cheaper tv models), most department stores with electronics, bjs wholesale club (if you are a member.. only need membership to buy), costco (if you are a member.. need card to get into store), sams club (if you are a member.. need card to get inside), boscovs outlet center (for returned or refurbished televisions.. good deals), etcetera.

i wouldnt buy online unless its a very good savings and only after you have seen the model in person. keep in mind that if you buy online its going to be harder to get servicing done if needed since if you bought it retail in a store they will typically set up a repair visit.

Solution