Loud buzzing noise from Toshiba laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite E55t-A5320. It has an Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6GHz CPU, 12 GB RAM (self upgraded from stock 4GB with Crucial 8GB 1DIMM), and 500GB WD 5400RPM HDD (replaced the stock Toshiba drive after it phantomly set a HDD/SSD password). OS is Windows 8 (not 8.1) Pro 64 bit.

Since I replaced the stock Toshiba drive (or rather, my dad's IT guy did), it's been making an awful buzzing/whirring/grinding noise. I don't know where it's coming from and if it's a sign of the hard drive's death.

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hblviyob8jt0bc3/grinding%20noise.wma?dl=0

Solution
Hmm, unfortunately that doesn't help much if it's done both. If it was only when the laptop was being moved or tilted then I could say for certain it's a loose part, but with both it may be a bearing too. I noticed you said you have an IT guy, you might want to see about having him take a look at the fan and possibly replacing it if there are no loose parts that are causing it. And by loose parts, it could be something extremely tiny like a chipped bit of plastic! There's not much extra room in those fan enclosures, so the smallest pieces of debris can become a problem. When you get access to the fan, if the blades look at all like they're being scraped against something, just buy a new one because there's no telling if the motor is...

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

OK I don't think it's the HDD because I had another one (the stock toshiba 500GB) last month and it didn't do this. So how much would it cost to buy a fan?

Also, what you said is my biggest beef with Apple, because they're not "open".

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I'm not sure about the fan, you would have to obtain the part number for it before it can be looked up. There is more than one fan model for the E55T series, it seems. Both were about $40-$50 though from the one site I was able to find with a quick search. Talk to your IT guy, he may be able to get a better deal (In fact, if he caused the damage, he should repair it for free).

If it wasn't for the fact that you said you had an IT guy open up the case and change parts, I would recommend that you contact Toshiba about it, but now that it's been tampered with your warranty is likely void. Regardless, even if it wasn't a warranty RMA would take a week or two at best, sometimes even longer.

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

How can I find out the model number? Should I just open the computer and look at the fan?

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I'll probably open the back because Toshiba has horrible customer support. Even though their value for the money is great, this will probably be my last Toshiba laptop. Thanks so much for helping.