Loud noises coming from studio monitors only when connected to my pc

Leon Solgaard

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
ok. so my M-Audio BX5 studio monitors are making a horrible noise that gets louder when i turn my volume up on my DENON DN-X400 mixer. when i plug the 3.5 mm audio jack into my phone or laptop all the noise disappears. i bought a sound card today to see if that helped but of course it didn't. (The sound is a lot better though xD). The soundcard i have is a Creative Sound Blaster Z. CPU: i7-4790K GPU: GTX-660. Motherboard: MSI z97s krait edition. PSU: G750M. 16GB RAM.

The noise is kind of a buzzing that changes when ever i play games. can't say what frequency it is buzzing at since it is buzzing at every frequency lol.

Help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks

If there is something i didn't specify please tell me.

dangus

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
it could be picking up electrical noise from the other components? try installing the sound card in a PCIe slot as far away from the GPU as possible. other than that, I DUNNO!

what sound card did you buy?

Leon Solgaard

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014

The 3.5 mm is connected directly in to the sound card. I insured that the sound card was far away from the GPU before i put it in xD

I dont know either and this noise is very very annoying...

Creative Sound Blaster Z

Do you get the buzzing noise from the PC just on games? If not then you may have a ground loop. This is caused by having more than one ground connection between components. In most cases there is a ground from the AC plugs and another from the signal cables. You can use a 3 to 2 ground lifter plug on the speakers AC cords to see if that will help. There are also ground loop isolators that would insert in the audio path but they are more expensive. You can find more detailed info here
http://web.mit.edu/~jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf

Leon Solgaard

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
I'm sorry i didnt mean buzzing. It's a sound that keeps changing but it doesnt sound like a buzz. Add me on skype: leas561. And i'll give you a recording of what it sounds like. It is very very hard to explain. It is a mixture of white noise buzzing and crackling

TRENDING THREADS