Loud static when using Razer Chimaera 5.1

TrollMuff

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
So I just connected my Chimaera to my laptop and instead of nice sound I get a loud horrible static. I can hear the audio in the background but barely. Also do I need a separate cable for the microphone since I don't see on in here....

Solution
That's because the connection is analog (3.5mm), not digital (usb). There's a lot of noise inside your laptop. On a pc, high end mobos have isolation technologies to minimize electromagnetic interference. Same goes for sound cards, which are essentially amps/dac. What I would suggest is to get an external amp, and that would take all the signal out of your laptop. That would solve your problem. If you don't wanna do it, another suggestion is to return your product and get a replacement for one with a usb plug.

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
That's because the connection is analog (3.5mm), not digital (usb). There's a lot of noise inside your laptop. On a pc, high end mobos have isolation technologies to minimize electromagnetic interference. Same goes for sound cards, which are essentially amps/dac. What I would suggest is to get an external amp, and that would take all the signal out of your laptop. That would solve your problem. If you don't wanna do it, another suggestion is to return your product and get a replacement for one with a usb plug.

Solution

TrollMuff

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014

With the information I have I can't replace it with a usb plug sadly.