Low budget laptop suitable for gaming?

lisa_77

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if people here can help me in my search for a low budget laptop (<450 euro) that is suitable for playing some of recent years' games.
I've spent hours and hours searching online... found one or two laptops i'm interested in... but I'm a novice when it comes to CPU, GPU, clocking, overclocking, FPS, etc etc.
I'm confused by all the different information I read. :heink:

So to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

1. What is your budget?

<450 euro, preferably around 400 euro

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15 inch, but 14 would be okay too.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Don't really care.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I'm only using this one at home, so it doesn't need to be portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Don't care, I can plug it in.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes. Some of the games I'd like to play:

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
The Lord of the Rings - Battle for Middle Earth: The Rise of the Witch King
The Lord of the Rings - Conquest
The Lord of the Rings - War in the North (the most demanding game when it comes to GPU & CPU)
The Sims 4

As you've noticed I'm a Lord of the Rings fan ;-)

There might be other games in the future, but I think a laptop on which I can play "The Lord of the Rings - War in the North" is good enough for me now.
I'd like to play in medium to high settings. (Medium is okay)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

A lot of internet surfing, watching youtube video's, and just normal "office use".

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Don't care, I use an external HDD of 1TB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

n.a. / As long as I can buy it in my country, the Netherlands.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

At least 3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

CD/DVD Rom & Writer only.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't really care.

13. What country do you live in?

The Netherlands (EU)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'd like the processor to be 2 GHz or more, if possible. I hate slow starting computers ;),

So far, the best one I've found within my budget:
* Acer Aspire P453-M-53214G50MIKK
Intel Core i5 3210M, 2,5 GHz, 4 GB memory, 15.6 inch, Intel HD Graphics 4000, price about 374 euro.

I also found one with a different GPU, but it's CPU speed is not as good:
* ASUS X552CL-SX014H / ASUS X552CL-XX315H
Intel Pentium 2117U, 1,8 GHz, 4 GB memory, 15.6 inch, Nvidia GeForce 710M, price about 389 euro.

I've use the site hardware.info to compare. http://nl.hardware.info ... but it's in Dutch, so...
;)

Is the "Acer Aspire P453-M-53214G50MIKK" with the above specs, any good for playing e.g. "The Lord of the Rings - War in the North"?

The Intel site says it's playable... and some tests indicate that the Intel HD 4000 perfoms pretty well. But there's also websites that say you can't play these modern games properly at all with this GPU. What's the truth? :??:

You see, I'm only a casual gamer... I don't need it to be perfect... I just DON'T want my game to be terribly slowww, or freeze all the time. Just want normal gameplay, with medium settings if neccesary.

Any other laptop suggestions??

Your help is much appreciated!!

Thanks alot in advance! :)

Lisa

Solution
Both your examples are dual-core CPUs, so in that case always go with the higher clock speed (Ghz rating). A 2.5 GHz dual core will always be better than a 1.8 GHz dual core. Especially since you are integrating the GPU. I am on a very similar hunt. The thing to remember is ANY laptop that has integrated graphics as part of the CPU (low cost laptop) will need the ingame settings set to the lowest settings most likely. And all extras like "bloom" anti-aliasing, etc need turned off.

lisa_77

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014

Thanks for your suggestions, but the first one is above my budget at around 675-700 euro.
The second one I cannot even find? (no hits from search engine)

So, I'm open for more ;)...

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Both your examples are dual-core CPUs, so in that case always go with the higher clock speed (Ghz rating). A 2.5 GHz dual core will always be better than a 1.8 GHz dual core. Especially since you are integrating the GPU. I am on a very similar hunt. The thing to remember is ANY laptop that has integrated graphics as part of the CPU (low cost laptop) will need the ingame settings set to the lowest settings most likely. And all extras like "bloom" anti-aliasing, etc need turned off.

Solution

Richter888

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

In my country (PL) price:
First and second laptop: 496 euro

Please paste me link for your pc online shop, I will see the best laptop in your budget.