Solved! Low performance on new laptop :(

suoira

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
I just bought a new laptop & I'm not getting the performance out of the GPU I think I should. I updated all the drivers I thought I should & manually installed Nvidia's latest drivers after using their GeForce Experience application. For example, I tried testing Overwatch at 4k with every other setting turned down low & been only getting 15 fps. The optimize suggestion on the GeForce Experience says I should have it set at 4k with most of the other settings set at like Ultra. So unless Nvidia wants me to play at 15 fps, something is wrong. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
I figured out a solution. I unplugged the laptop, took out the battery & anything else that seemed like it might have stored a charge. I left it alone for half an hour & restarted the machine after putting it all together again. I tested a couple games to see & it worked! I think there was some misconfiguration with the GPU that was preventing it from being utilized fully & leaving it unpowered for a bit reset its settings to what it should have been.

suoira

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
It's got a Kaby Lake i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6 gb, & 8 gb ram. It should be plenty fine, but i'm only getting 30 fps on 1080p for Overwatch which is is even lower than my other laptop which is running a 650m card from like 5 years ago.

Cioby

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015
Nvidia experience is kinda broken. It recommends I play some games on low and 1440p even, while I rock 4K Ultra 60 fps (with some drops in some areas to 40 maybe).

A 1060 isn't made for 4K also since it's a laptop, your screen is not 28 inch or larger, which means you won't even really see the 4K, your interface and UI will just be very small. Don't play at 4K. 1080p Ultra is fine and will look the same on your screen as 4K

suoira

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

But I'm only getting 30 fps at 1080p on my 1060 card. That definitely isn't right. A 1060 card, even for a laptop, should be getting 60 fps. My old laptop with a 650m was getting 30 fps.

suoira

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

Definitely a 1060 6gb card. I bought the laptop off Cyberpowerpc by the way. Are there laptops known for not being able to fully utilize the GPU? I'm starting to really regret this purchase...

suoira

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
I figured out a solution. I unplugged the laptop, took out the battery & anything else that seemed like it might have stored a charge. I left it alone for half an hour & restarted the machine after putting it all together again. I tested a couple games to see & it worked! I think there was some misconfiguration with the GPU that was preventing it from being utilized fully & leaving it unpowered for a bit reset its settings to what it should have been.

Solution