Low priced receivers

videoluvr

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
I see a lot of receivers that are priced under 200 bucks and claim that they put out 100 watts per channel and weigh 8 pounds(just an example).Is that possible?My vintage onkyo A-7 is only 68 watts per channel and weighs at least 30 pounds.How can the sub 200 dollar receivers claim that?Is it true?

Solution
100w but at what OHM RATING? many lower cost receivers dont support higher speaker impedence at high wattage.

it could be that they only put out 100w @ 6ohm. (if it supports 8ohm its probably only at 75-80w)

many $200+ can handle 100w @ 8ohm (which is typically about 120-130w @ 6ohm or 150w @ 4ohm)

speakers also have different wattage and impedence (ohm) ratings. whether or not the receiver will work or not depends on both values not just one.

you need to give an example of a product (link us to one) if you want any other comments.

edit:
also of note is that some receivers have a higher value when only the front channels are being used. for instance a receiver with 100w @ 8ohm might say 150w if its used with just two speakers. in...

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
That's probably the peak power output while only a single channel is being stressed. More expensive/trusted brands (Denon, for example) usually give a value for 2 channels and a value for all channels being used simultaneously. They also report their power outputs in continuous power, not peak power.

You can probably imagine me trying to run a pair of Jamo S606s on a crappy sub-250€ Sony 5.1 receiver; The sound started to get distorted even on slightly high volumes. I upgraded to a Denon AVR-1911 and the quality is amazing. This is why I always advise people to stay away from cheap receivers.

100w but at what OHM RATING? many lower cost receivers dont support higher speaker impedence at high wattage.

it could be that they only put out 100w @ 6ohm. (if it supports 8ohm its probably only at 75-80w)

many $200+ can handle 100w @ 8ohm (which is typically about 120-130w @ 6ohm or 150w @ 4ohm)

speakers also have different wattage and impedence (ohm) ratings. whether or not the receiver will work or not depends on both values not just one.

you need to give an example of a product (link us to one) if you want any other comments.

edit:
also of note is that some receivers have a higher value when only the front channels are being used. for instance a receiver with 100w @ 8ohm might say 150w if its used with just two speakers. in other cases front channels could have higher output values than the rears.

Solution