Solved! Low to Midrange Gaming laptop

johnnyg42

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I'm looking into getting a laptop, mainly for general use. Browsing the web, documents, streaming video, dvds. Some light programming. I would also like to be able to play some games, mainly older games like starcraft, empire earth, command and conquer etc. I want to be able to play large scale battles with a lot of units (hundreds) on screen though, and maintain a good framerate.
Is this possible on a laptop like this?:

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/183189?r=1

The gaming isn't toooo important, I really just need it for general use. But I'm just wondering what today's laptops in this price range are capable of (gaming wise). Any input is greatly appreciated!

1_What is your budget?

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15-17

5_How much battery life do you need?
2 hours+

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
120GB+

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
as long as it will last, can't see myself wanting to upgrade for gaming purposes or anything.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD rom/writer

And 3GB of RAM or more

Thanks

johnnyg42

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Smacking myself for not seeing the RAM on the lenevo* That gateway is looking great! Definitely putting that one at the top of my list, will decide in about a month. Thanks =]

johnnyg42

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
NEVERMIND, I just threw my new laptop out the window. Cracked my windshield because I'm an idiot and was being careless while changing my wiper blades. Looking at $530 to replace the windshield. I hate myself.