Lower Wattage AC adapter

cross47

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
Hello, first time posting here, sorry if the title is not too self explanatory. Excuse the long post but I want to include as much information as possible in case it might help.

I have a laptop I haven't used at all for a few months. And I lost the AC adapter so I went to buy one but I had trouble finding one for 130W+.

I got a universal 90W adapter to work. It said "charging" but when it boots up I get a Warning indicating that because it's lower than 130W it might cause some performance issues. I disabled those warnings through the bios, and I can see it recognizes the adapter as it sais Adapter 90W in bios settings.

So I turned it on used it for 1-2 hours and the battery got up to around 55%. Then I had to leave and I shut it down for 2-3 hours when I left, but I also unplugged it. When I came back it wouldn't open unplugged, the battery was discharged. So I booted up again and its charging from 0%

So I have two questions. Is it an issue to use a lower Wattage ac adapter? Did my battery die?
Thanks for your time

Yes, a lower wattage adapter is a major issue. Get the correct one.

The battery is probably shot.

The new adapter will help determine if your battery is bad, or just won't charge correctly with the wrong adapter.

cross47

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

Yes its ~4 years old, It has decent specs and I need it for University since I cannot afford a new One. Merry christmass by the way thanks for the reply

cross47

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

WoW thanks, I looked for one Localy and they sell for 3 times that! cheers!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop Tech Support 1
Burhor Laptop Tech Support 0
J Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 7