I'm no expert myself (in fact I'm here looking for advice) but the laptop I'm looking at getting:
has the same GPU as the m14x and you can set it up with fairly similar specs elsewhere.
It's a 15.6" rather than a 14" though and I'm not sure where you'd get it from if you're not from the UK but on the plus side it's a lot more understated than the M14x and it doesn't cost as much either.
Sorry if that's not a lot of use to you but good luck finding something
So i'm gonna explain a bit more what i expect from my laptop.
- laptop around 15.6", screen resolution : i think 1366*768 is too small for a 15.6".
- a laptop i could move without any problem. Less than 3kgs would be great.
- laptop for movies and games. I want to play new x11 game with normal settings. Exemple of games : CoD MWF 3 realizing soon. I want to watch movies, listen to music (medium quality or better) and be able to do some photo or even video editing ( that's not a priority).
- for the HDD, i'd prefer a quick one rather than a big one. I don't think i can offer SSD but if there is, it's great. I think of a 7400/min, with a lowest storage space of 320GB.
- i'd like to keep this laptop some years (4/5 maybe). It may be used in my professional life later.
- So i need a sober design, not a jukebox like the m14x.
- I would like a backlit keyboard, this is very important for me.
- I don't need blu/ray reader or fingerprint detector.
- For the battery, i would like to be able to watch a movie and do some surfing, meaning something like a few more than 3 hours in video reading.
- Last think, I'm french
I have a budget than can go from 800 euros to 1200 euros or even to 1500/1600 euros if i really like the laptop. It means 700 - 1050 pounds up to 1300-1400 pounds or 1100 - 1700 dollar up to 2100 dollar.