M30X or M40X

Basstex

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
I need balanced headphones for mixing and monitoring audio (which should be done on speakers), but I can't because of the environment. M40X would be the thing to get, right? But I can get 30X for 45€ with a damaged box. Are those 55€ more for the 40X really worth it? Also, what about M20X?

Solution
m30 has shallow earcups. i gifted one a few years back. the m50 has deeper earcups and i prefer them more for that reason. regardless of the models the earcups are all on the small side.

the lineup is also not neutral. it tends towards v-shaped although the m40 is a little more neutral than the m30 and m50.

i cant say i have a/b the m30 and m40 but i have done the m30 and m50 and i could notice a difference. both do not sound bad for their price categories but my biggest issue was build quality and earcup depth which makes me prefer the m50 much more.

if you want something neutral, you likely need to look around a bit more however the m30 is not a bad pair of headphones if you like a v-shaped signature.
m30 has shallow earcups. i gifted one a few years back. the m50 has deeper earcups and i prefer them more for that reason. regardless of the models the earcups are all on the small side.

the lineup is also not neutral. it tends towards v-shaped although the m40 is a little more neutral than the m30 and m50.

i cant say i have a/b the m30 and m40 but i have done the m30 and m50 and i could notice a difference. both do not sound bad for their price categories but my biggest issue was build quality and earcup depth which makes me prefer the m50 much more.

if you want something neutral, you likely need to look around a bit more however the m30 is not a bad pair of headphones if you like a v-shaped signature.

Solution
in closed back? thats tough.

i know of the srh440 and mdr7506 but to be honest they arent any better than the m30 or m40 (m40 or m50 actually may be a bit better in some cases)

in open back / semi open back

perhaps the hd518 or hd558 which are fairly mellow an laid back with semi neutral signature.

there is the akg k240 as well which is neutral. akg cans tend to be very detailed which while good can also really show flaws in files or hardware.