HenryP2589

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
Hi guys. I am wanting to sell my gaming laptop, the MSI GT70 2PC Dominator, so I can get myself a good long lasting laptop that won't die on me often.

I recently switched from computer engineering to pre-medical and I've recently stopped gaming for a while and realize a gaming laptop and gaming pc is overkill. I use to game everywhere I go, but now that I know what I actually want to do with my life. I need to get rid of my laptop and get myself a really good laptop that will last me probably 3 or 4 years down the road until medical school.

So that is why I need help, should I get the macbook pro or the surface book? Also which type of processor and storage as well as ram.

Thanks guys!

Solution
The Macbook Pro has always been a great beater laptop. I used the Macbook pro for 2 whole years before selling and buying myself a new laptop. The Macbook is a great option for a long-lasting laptop as long as you are taking good care of it. However, it is pretty hard to get around with compatibility unless you use bootcamp or something that runs Windows. I have used it for school, but there were many moments where I was let down because the software was incompatible or I had to pay extra to get the Mac version.

Seeing that you're moving onto Pre-Med, which is probably one of the most stressful and work-heavy times during your life. In that case you'll probably want a good laptop that is very good with productivity.

The Windows...

josephlu

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
The Macbook Pro has always been a great beater laptop. I used the Macbook pro for 2 whole years before selling and buying myself a new laptop. The Macbook is a great option for a long-lasting laptop as long as you are taking good care of it. However, it is pretty hard to get around with compatibility unless you use bootcamp or something that runs Windows. I have used it for school, but there were many moments where I was let down because the software was incompatible or I had to pay extra to get the Mac version.

Seeing that you're moving onto Pre-Med, which is probably one of the most stressful and work-heavy times during your life. In that case you'll probably want a good laptop that is very good with productivity.

The Windows Surface Book was a certainly underrated release last year, as it seemed to have revolutionized some aspects of a Tablet/Laptop. It certainly works both as a high-end laptop, as you can purchase it with or without GPU and i7 processors. I haven't gotten to use it personally, but it looks very good, sturdy, and powerful. It is handy for many things, such as their tablet mode which is super handy and all in all makes for a pretty good substitute desktop if you ask me.

I think macs are becoming very common these days, and the new Macbook Pros are a force to be reckoned with.They provide good specs with a better price than the Windows Surface Book.

Although I haven't used the Surface book, its reviews look quite promising, but one place where it falls short is battery life, as the Macbook destroys the Surface book in that aspect.

I don't know what else to say besides what I know. It seems Apple gives a good price/performance ratio and gives similar benchmarks at a much cheaper price.

You can read about these exact laptops head to head HERE

My choice: The Macbook Pro, with the highest features available, (Either the best 13' or the $1999 15')
Things to note: Good graphics come cheaper with windows, as you can get nVidia on a lot of the cheaper versions but on the Macbook you can only get good graphics on the 15' i7 core, which comes at $2,499, which may hurt your wallet.

Conclusion: I can't pick for you. I've given you some articles with benchmarks to compare, and go ahead and look for reviews, as those will be helpful. I've given you my opinion, but don't take my word for it, you should go out and see which one YOU like better.

Solution

HenryP2589

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

Thank you very much! It looks like I'll be getting the Macbook Pro, I don't have much cash to spend so i'll be getting the i5 with less storage with a 13.3 in display. My big bro has the 15 in macbook pro. I wish I had his laptop. Anyways unless you insist me on getting more storage or a better cpu. Then I'll save up my money, also I haven't sold my laptop yet, hopefully soon. Thanks again!

josephlu

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016

No problem! I hope you get whatever you want and remember you can get external hard drives/high storage flash drives for extra storage, so storage was never a problem for me on my Macbook. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your laptop!

Daniel_141

Estimable
Jan 27, 2016

remember there is the subtle catch that larger SSD disk are often faster; so you can always get external drive but the main disk will determine the overall speed and it could be a bottleneck depending on what you do.

I find that laptops decisions are often personal. Oh sure, when you desired gaming of course you are going to buy a certain horse powered unit, but for everyday tasks, nobody needs an i7, which in its mobile form is throttled down anyways. Storage, you old laptop should tell you how much you need.

Moving from Windows to OSX may mean purchasing$ new Apps as mentioned. Surface mans a touch screen if you care.

I did touch a Surface at Costco, and it looks very slick from a distance but once I started to play with it, the --relatively-- heavy screen seems unstable when pop up into laptop mode, maybe it's me.

The white aluminum of my Macbook holds up well, I dare you to tell me it's 4 years old. The LCD too is still strong and I have yet to have to turn it up to 100% as it ages.

Once I played with W8 on a brand new machine and it's not nearly as smooth as the OSX interface as I came accustomed to, dunno if they have improved it with W10.