Mac Cloner Psystar Begs Judge for Legitimacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
You bastards at Apple, when you limit use of your OS to your overpriced exactly-the-same-as-the-next hardware, nobody will use your shit.

alvine

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
apple are like communists. want to control everything. they do 10.6.2 update bricking intel atoms for netbooks users. iphone 3gs not allowing jailbreak? itunes update so palm-pre won't sync. psyster. jezus i know they want to sell their overpriced hardware but they would sell more OS and gain more popularity if they allowed to install osx legally on all mashines....and users choice if they want to pay $300 more for their aluminium products. PLAY NICE APPLE

If apple is worried about not selling as many macs then perhaps they should change their business model. Monkey see monkey do.. sell your os for more money, and charge less for your hardware. In that way you will profit from companies such as psystar.

Apple needs to quit these antics unless it wants to lose even more ground to pc's.

w4ffles

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]You bastards at Apple, when you limit use of your OS to your overpriced exactly-the-same-as-the-next hardware, nobody will use your shit.[/citation]
There will always be people who will buy Apple shit just because it's Apple.

G

amabhy; Last qauter, Apple has sold over 3 million Macs. In a recession.

Psystar, the company is selling Apple's OS - without Apples permission. And making money. Psystar has no standing or any legitimate/legal grounds.
Apple does not want to sell you their OS - they make the software and sell the hardware with it. That is what they do, and sell. They don't want to sell you their OS without its hardware. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
And, Apple has every right - legally - to do what they are doing. It is their product, they have designed, created and produced it. And it is their property, not yours or Psystars. Also, when you purchase an OS "upgrade" from Apple, you are licensing that upgrade. You do not own any part of the OS, even when you purchase it - read the EULA. Read the EULA, you will notice that it states that the OS you licensed is to be used for Apple approved hardware. Psystar is breaking that EULA, and the law.

Apple created the OS to run its own hardware, and not yours. Deal with it, or don't use any Apple products.

G

See, my complaint about apple has never really been the operating system, it's a rather nice OS. My problem is that they want me to buy an incredibly overpriced machine that I can't upgrade in order to run it.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
While I share in the frustration Apple has a very effective business model.
They have poured billions into developing software (no matter what you think of it), and because of it they are able to charge premium prices for their hardware. If companies were able to use Apple software on non-premium priced computers then Apple would have to charge just as much as Microsoft for windows does to cover its R&D. Many call it the "apple tax", but it is an effective business model--unless pystar wins.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Christ, just let people make hardware for OSX already. It was this restrictive business practice that lost Apple's war on Microsoft in the first place.

Had it not been for the iPod, Apple would still be an afterthought.

jjchmiel78

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Apple can not adopt anything like the PC model. If they do, that means lower pricing. Lower pricing means more people would be interested. More people interested means more sales. More sales means a larger market share. Larger market share means more interest in those making malware. More malware and users will result in Mac unable to have the smug attitude of we are better than you. See it ruins their entire image.

I am not really a PC fanboy, I can acknowledge Macs benefits. I just can not stand how negative their ads are and how smug our Mac tech is even though we see him more often on our 1 mac in the company than we do for the 10 pcs in our company.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Who knows, I might actually use Mac OSX if I could install it on my machine. But since it requires a minimum $999 investment (or is that down to $799?), I'll stick with Windows. Heck, I pre-ordered Win 7 Pro for $100. Add that to $500 of hardware, and you're still below Apple-minimums.

Heck, look at the facts. I built my current PC in late 2005, early 2006, BEFORE Apple switched to Intel. I've upgraded the CPU, swapped out GPUs, and added more memory, and am still running basically the same computer since I never had to reinstall Windows. In that same 3-4 years, Apple swapped out processor architectures, meaning no one who bought an Apple at the same time could even be running Snow Leopard (it no longer supports PowerPC-based Macs). Even if you waited a few months and bought the first Intel-based Mac, your upgrade options are limited (considering what Apple allows, not what the more technologically inclined might be able to hack into their system).

Apple, your iPod can't support you forever. You should learn to embrace new customers rather than alienate them for "thinking different".

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Zoki[/nom]amabhy; Last qauter, Apple has sold over 3 million Macs. In a recession.Psystar, the company is selling Apple's OS - without Apples permission. And making money. Psystar has no standing or any legitimate/legal grounds. Apple does not want to sell you their OS - they make the software and sell the hardware with it. That is what they do, and sell. They don't want to sell you their OS without its hardware. Why is that so hard for people to understand?And, Apple has every right - legally - to do what they are doing. It is their product, they have designed, created and produced it. And it is their property, not yours or Psystars. Also, when you purchase an OS "upgrade" from Apple, you are licensing that upgrade. You do not own any part of the OS, even when you purchase it - read the EULA. Read the EULA, you will notice that it states that the OS you licensed is to be used for Apple approved hardware. Psystar is breaking that EULA, and the law.Apple created the OS to run its own hardware, and not yours. Deal with it, or don't use any Apple products.[/citation]

I would like to see Microsoft block the install of its OS on Apple Machines. Even better, stop selling Office for Mac, put it in the EULA that installing any Microsoft product on an Apple product is not authroized. If it is perfectly legal for Apple to do why not Microsoft? I would love to see the error message.

"Sorry. This media is not authorized for use with asshole...I mean Apple products."

chyll2

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
As much as I hate apple product, Im with Apple on this one. They are just trying to milk-in the efforts of others. No matter how much you hate it, you dont have the right to use the work of others to benefit yourself.

zoran

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
hellwig; Apple sold 3 million Macs last quarter alone. They have well over 30 billion in the bank - in cash. Apple's entire line-up supports them, not just the iPod.
Learn the facts or gtfo.

G

It's interesting to see the comment by Zoki was marked as useless.

Jesus - are there really that many idiots here at tomsguide?

zoran

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]I would like to see Microsoft block the install of its OS on Apple Machines. Even better, stop selling Office for Mac, put it in the EULA that installing any Microsoft product on an Apple product is not authroized. If it is perfectly legal for Apple to do why not Microsoft? I would love to see the error message. "Sorry. This media is not authorized for use with asshole...I mean Apple products."[/citation]

Microsoft just makes the software - not the hardware. So they have licensed Windows for use on Macs. Simple as that.

Apple, makes the software and hardware. The software sells their hardware at the higher price. If someone else, Psystar, starts selling that software for their OWN profit why should Apple just sit back?

Some of you really need to get your facts right and see that Microsoft and Apple have two different business models.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
if microsoft did something like this, they would have already faced a multi-billion dollar lawsuit.

crazymech

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
ssddx: "Apple needs to quit these antics unless it wants to lose even more ground to pc's."

As far as I know, Apple has been gaining ground the last years? Windows % used to be 98, now it's down to 9(4?)%. Both linux and apple has grown a bit.

Also, it's apple's software. Their creation, their design, their working hours and their product.
Why on earth shouldn't they get decide what to use their products on?

It's like playing with your truck in a sandbox, then this other kid comes along and takes your truck, and starts playing with it in his playground.

Now what's the better alternative from a marketing point a view is a whole different story. I'm just saying let apple do what they want with their own product. Doesn't hurt you, does it?

If you plan to run a Hackintosh, you'd be stealing the truck anyways, so no sympathy there.

Status
Not open for further replies.