Mac Clones Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Computer system integrator Pystar announced its Mac clone platform called OpenMac. Essentially a PC with Apple’s OS X operating system, Psytar claims that its systems will offer customers the full experience of a Mac, performance and all, without the App

Mac Clones Now Available : Read more

Slack

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005
Hopefully this will take off, Apple is way over-priced anyway. Considering the fact if you open the case its just an mid-level intel based pc that you cannot upgrade. I would love to try the OS-x but I don't want it in $1000 case with $500 pc parts in it.

G

Same performance as a mac Pro? get a life. Not with integrated graphics. marketing lies, err hype strikes again.

shmuls

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Get the bloody name right, first it's pystar, then psytar, then psystar and back to psytar again!! I've always been a big fan of Tom's, but this is just shoddy reporting!!

Oh, and I spoke to Psystar today about international shipping, and good news for our European readers, they would be willing to ship to ?some? European countries on a per-order basis. And yes, it?s Psystar...

G

"Slick: Hopefully this will take off, Apple is way over-priced anyway. Considering the fact if you open the case its just an mid-level intel based pc that you cannot upgrade. I would love to try the OS-x but I don't want it in $1000 case with $500 pc parts in it."

Dream on. Build a Mac at Apple.com/store and then build a comparable PC and you'll see they're not so overpriced, in fact the Mac usually turns out cheaper.

Plus you don't have to deal with all the headaches that Windoze induces.

G

the only EFI emulator that i know of in existense is Netkas PCEFI and i doubt that this knockoff company did the reverse engineering themselves.

G

Slack: ps: google for Leopard PC install and you'll see it's relatively easy to dl a leopard install DVD, perform a few simple hacks, and you can install it on a pc.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
"Dream on. Build a Mac at Apple.com/store and then build a comparable PC and you'll see they're not so overpriced, in fact the Mac usually turns out cheaper."

Hahahaha! Are you high on CRACK or something? XD
Check a ram upgrade on a mac, vs real price for PC. 5x price tag.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822238001 Mac
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101077 PC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822216040 PC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146754 Mac
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161183 PC

I could go on but you are starting to see the point. I could build 3 PC's with all the software one would need including Office 2007 Student for the price of 1 Mac without any software. What's more is the 1 Mac wouldn't even be able to perform as well as the 3 PC's I had built. This is my problem with Mac.
"I can run 150 applications at once... Haha Windows!" Mac
"Uhmm OK. 108 applications and haven't hit 30% on the processor yet." PC
"Damn it!" Mumble Grumble. "Were more secure!" Mac
"Uhmm on the competition you were hacked first and the only reason we were hacked was because of Adobe." PC.
"Damn You! Damn you straight to hell!" Mac.
"Did I tell you about all the Games that are coming out for PC yet and hey didn't you say you were 64 bit... What's that 32 bit underlining I see?" PC
"Auggghhh...." Mac switches off.
"Wait... I didn't get to tell you about. Guess he had a commercial to go to or something." PC

G

Must have been bandwith/server problems earlier I can see the site just fine.

lolknight

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
"Dream on. Build a Mac at Apple.com/store and then build a comparable PC and you'll see they're not so overpriced, in fact the Mac usually turns out cheaper."

I built a MacBookPro a few months ago, according to the specs of a $1600 ASUS laptop, and it turned out to be $2700 for the Mac.

Mac fanboys didn't believe me and didn't believe ASUS (which you would know is a great brand if you're into computers at all), and demanded I build a Dell system with the same specs. I built one, and it turned out to be $1650.

I assume you haven't built any PC's in a while?

"Psystar says its able to run unmodified copies of thanks to the use of an EFI V8 BIOS emulator, and this is a $155 option that?s required if you want to run OS X on the OpenMac computer"

EFI V8 is the efi emulator designed by the OSx86 coummunity (namely Netkas). This mod is free if you know where to look, and they're charging $155 for it? wow?

G

You guys are out of luck. Seems the legal beagles at One Infinite Loop descended upon the hapless lad (who runs Psystar out of his garage, no less) and the "OpenMac" is a) now known as "Open Computer", b) no longer has the option to have OSX 10.5 pre-installed and c) is currently marked 'unavailable'.

KaiserZr

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, didn't a lot of people get mad at Microsoft for making companies use their web browser if they bought their OS. Now what is the difference between that and what Apple does with making people buy their hardware in order to use their OS? I call BS, and I am happy to see that a company is fighting back in a way that doesn't involve hacking the original OS. Windows may have it bugs, but I will take the gaming compatibility and the ability to upgrade the hardware as I wish, with XP over Mac OS any day.

Now if Apple would gain some business sense and allow their OS to be used with any hardware, I would buy a copy of it and use it and quad boot scenario (XP, Vista, Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OS)...but I would need to upgrade to a terra-byte upgrade.

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
@Hyram
"Open Computing is an OSx86 compatible hardware platform that is capable of running 'vanilla' OS X Leopard kernels. Why pay more for a Mac you can't upgrade or buy a used one when you can have an Open Computer for less? The Open Computer can now be purchased with Leopard included and preinstalled to make it fully functional out of the box!"

http://psystar.com/shop/openmac.html

Seems like it's still available to me.

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
The OpenMac is, in fact, now known as the Open Computer as Hyram pointed out. But last I checked (30 seconds ago), it was still available and preinstallation of Leopard was still an option. Same goes for the OpenPro.

G

I like this pattern. I like this pattern. I wish this EFI emulator were more readily available. I don't know about this brand, I just know that my Dell Inspiron that I bought for under $400.00 with a quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM (now 4GB) would be sweet as hell for Mac OS X.

G

Can't email the writer anymore so I will post on here. I lest gaps in the paragraphs where they make no sense. This is supposed to be a Tech site so lets get technical about writing the articles correctly.

Psystar says its able to run unmodified copies of thanks to the use of an EFI V8 BIOS emulator, and this is a $155 option that?s required if you want to run OS X on the OpenMac computer. Psystar claims that its OpenMac systems can offer users Mac Pro level performance with a price tag of a Mac Mini. Despite this claim, Mac Pros actually now come standard with dual quad-core Intel Xeon processors.

It?s been a very long time since Mac clones were available. When Steve Jobs returned to the company he founded, the cloning licenses were quickly abolished, leading an end to Mac clone businesses. OS X?s end user license agreement (EULA) actually forbids the installation of OS X on anything other than a real Mac. This also means no hacking, and no emulation.

There?s no news yet if Apple has contacted Psystar, but it is more than likely that Jobs and co are watching if not already sendings lawyers at Psystar?s way.

G

See I made a mistake in my 2nd sentence but there is not any way to go back and edit it. But the writer can.

Status
Not open for further replies.