MacBook Air 15-inch: 3 reasons to buy and 2 reasons to skip

winnebagocountynews

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2015
I have a 15" MacBook Air, 16GB RAM, 512 SSD. I have used, sold, supported and serviced Macs since 1992. 1) Sometimes it feels faster than other Macs and PCs I use, sometimes done speed tests. 2) I'm not a fan of the screen, despite Its brightness and resolution, there's something about it seems less sharp than my 2015 MBPro and work Lenovo. 3) The keypad and trackpad are better than any PC equivalent, but I prefer the response and feel of 2012 and 2015 MBPros (which are different from each other.) 4) I also use a 2017 MB Air, this new larger Air is an improvement over that. 5) I appreciate the metal case, and that it is supposed to be an "air", light that is, but it is too light and fragile for me. I need a beefier feel, something stronger. I'm always on the move and I feel I have to baby this computer. 6) FABULOUS battery life. I mean rock solid. Wow, long, all day battery life. 7) As far as the reviewer's claim that this is probably the best Mac laptop for most Mac users, that is probably true, especially for someone coming from a PC. I do not like where Apple is going with the MacOS though. I don't need a clock greeting me on my login screen. We all have smartphones, a digital or analog watch, and heck some buildings still have clocks. I do need clear sign in options for my users, now the login is buried at the bottom of the screen. And the left hand Control Panel/System Settings choices are a real pain, scroll, scroll, scroll until you find what you need. Apple has made Apps easier to find with LaunchPad and widgets too now, why not make a Control/System Settings Pad with access to controls like LaunchPad (similar to old school Control Panel/System Settings, but modeled after Launch Pad.