News MacBook Air M1 benchmarks revealed — and they destroy Windows laptops

max2go

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I'm suggesting some grammar, spell checking / proof reading before posting articles: "it’s no surprise it’s single-core scores are faster than the A14 Bionic"

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
What a dumb headline. The processor is the issue here not the operating system. Destroys Intel laptops fine, but Windows? What's the point of that?

Reactions: faslane

Eric Gold

Estimable
Nov 21, 2020
If I'm not mistaken the Dell benchmarks were from the i7 equipped computer but the $999 price is the i3 cpu. Dell offers the i7 variant for $1350 (along with a touch screen.)

faslane

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2013
Which version of the Air was used? the base model with 8 core and 7 core GPU or the slightly more version with the extra GPU core 8 Core CPU and 8core GPU? Probably won't make a difference with one more GPU core but curious is all. VERY impressive to say the least. Can't wait to get it. Shipping can't come soon enough lol.

Last edited:

Eric Gold

Estimable
Nov 21, 2020
Which version of the Air was used? the base model with 8 core and 7 core GPU or the slightly more version with the extra GPU core 8 Core CPU and 8core GPU? Probably won't make a difference with one more GPU core but curious is all. VERY impressive to say the least. Can't wait to get it. Shipping can't come soon enough lol.
I'm pretty sure the base model M1 was tested. IIRC they said so; and second, so far as I know that is the only model available today. I ordered the 16 GB version for my wife and have a tentative shipping date a month from now.

One of the less publicized features of the M1 is really fast RAM swapping (and 60 GB/sec on SOC communication, if you can believe it) so for most every day tasks 8 GB with Mac OS is a lot better than 8 GB in a Windows computer. I'm not really sure that it is worth it to pay $200 for the extra RAM but it is now or never and we keep our Macs for a long time. I just hope that extra 8 GB RAM does not cause much of a hit on the stellar run time.