MacBook Bluescreen

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure can you guys help me (I've been trawling forums for months now) but here goes!*

I have a MacBook (bought in Nov 2007) that crapped out in December (just out of warranty!!!!!). I had been avoiding a Quicktime update for a while because I was always doing something when the notification came up so I just hit 'later' and used VLC instead. When I finally updated, I installed and restarted, and my machine has been stuck on the blue startup screen ever since.

I tried booting in safe mode and repairing the disk and that didn't work.

I tried booting to terminal and manually removing the quicktime update and that didn't work.

I tried booting to a target disk using a big to big firewire cable and my macbook pro so I could HOPEFULLY access my stuff, back it all up and then reinstall. But, you guessed it, that didn't work (it didn't recognise it as a target disk for some weird reason).

I also tried a bunch of random ideas that I got from various people who claimed to have had the same problem, such as repairing the PRAM (still shocked that that actually solved the problem for some people!)

I'm completely at a loss for solutions now. I have no idea what else to try other than ripping out the hard drive, recovering my stuff, and then reformatting, which would be a huge pain in the ass.

I'd appreciate any help to revive my dead MacBook!

Thanks,

JaneyMc

*If you're just here to spout about Mac vs PC, then you're no use to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion just as they're entitled to spend their money on whatever they choose. I'm here for help, not to start a debate that will leave me in the same place I was when I posted. Frustrated! :sweat:

frozenlead

Distinguished
Taking out the disk, copying the data, and formatting it would have been my second or third option to try. I'd just do that. You know it will work, and it's not too hard, even if it takes a while.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
A bit late reply so most likely it wont be of any good to you.

Your problem seems to be directly related to either your file system or your hard drive itself.
Apple has a tool to scan the hard drive and "fix" most if not any problems on the file system level.
If you boot from the OS X installation DVD there should be an disk repair option some where in one of the menu's on top of your screen.

Since it has been a while since i used a mac i cant remember where they hid it but i bet you can find it.

If this does not help or fix your problem its a good plan to not only back your drive up in another (desktop) machine but also to buy a new one.
With some google work i bet you might find a way to get hold of your hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. status which would be a big diagnostic help.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

Hey,

Thanks! Repairing the disk was the first thing I tried, then booting to terminal and removing the update manually. I'm moving in the morning and once I'm done with that will have tons of time/peace and quiet to do a wipe/reinstall. Way forward I 'spose!

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008

Dont forget to check the S.M.A.R.T. status and good luck with your moving.