News MacBook Pro 14-inch 2021 release , price, news and leaks

Apr 6, 2021
"We've also got great news for people who want more ports. Gurman notes that Apple will augment the USB-C ports in the MacBook Pro 2021 with the return of the magnetic MagSafe charging port. This cable, dropped when the 2016 MacBook Pro switched to USB-C for charging, snaps off when a bit of tension is applied, because it connects primarily because of magnets, not because of a port-head being deeply seated in the entry point. This change was echoed in Kuo's recent report as well. Apple will keep USB-C ports in the MacBook Pro, but they may not draw power. "

I am just curious how the last sentence (Bold and underlined) is good news for those like myself that purchased a USB - C / Thunderbolt 3 external display and made the most of the simplicity of the port being able to provide both power and video output? So would this now mean that to use the new MacBook Pro in the office you would need 2 cables one for charging and one for video?

I am so grateful that the whingers have finally lost their dongles with the possible reintroduction of an HDMI port, but how about all of us that looked to the future and adopted the full versatility that USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 offers?

Don't get me wrong, the re-introduction of MagSafe is fantastic - when I am out and about. But why limit the USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 technology when I am in my home / office and my MacBook is safely docked to my external display? I see this as a step backwards from Apple rather than progressing forwards!

Jun 3, 2021
Hi Daney13,
Sounds like you may be getting upset over nothing. As you quoted, the Macbook Pro’s USB-C ports may not DRAW power, meaning that you would need to use the MagSafe charger instead of a USB-C to power your Macbook Pro. However, this says nothing about the output, and my inference is that the USB-C ports would still provide both power and signal to any other connected devices (of course, keeping in mind that the power brick must provide at least as much power-in as power-out).

Jun 19, 2021
"We've also got great news for people who want more ports. Gurman notes that Apple will augment the USB-C ports in the MacBook Pro 2021 with the return of the magnetic MagSafe charging port. This cable, dropped when the 2016 MacBook Pro switched to USB-C for charging, snaps off when a bit of tension is applied, because it connects primarily because of magnets, not because of a port-head being deeply seated in the entry point. This change was echoed in Kuo's recent report as well. Apple will keep USB-C ports in the MacBook Pro, but they may not draw power. "

I am just curious how the last sentence (Bold and underlined) is good news for those like myself that purchased a USB - C / Thunderbolt 3 external display and made the most of the simplicity of the port being able to provide both power and video output? So would this now mean that to use the new MacBook Pro in the office you would need 2 cables one for charging and one for video?

I am so grateful that the whingers have finally lost their dongles with the possible reintroduction of an HDMI port, but how about all of us that looked to the future and adopted the full versatility that USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 offers?

Don't get me wrong, the re-introduction of MagSafe is fantastic - when I am out and about. But why limit the USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 technology when I am in my home / office and my MacBook is safely docked to my external display? I see this as a step backwards from Apple rather than progressing forwards!
So your complaint is that the laptops will be better at being laptops than desktops?

Jun 28, 2021
So your complaint is that the laptops will be better at being laptops than desktops?
I think you got things backwards. For desktops, it doesn't really matter how many cables you have to connect, since you do it once and rarely ever change it. For laptops, it does matter. Because of the portability, you want to be able to quickly and easily plug out/in at different places (home and office, at the very least).

If I'm in the office and I want to show something to a coworker, I can just disconnect one cable, take the laptop to them, them return and connect one cable. One could argue that having two cables is still not a big deal, but if my coworker is sitting near me, I'd be more inclined to ask them to just come look, rather than taking the laptop to them. It's not significantly worse, but it's undeniably worse at being a laptop. Additionaly, in the office I work, each person has a desk, but we also have big rooms we can book to work with other teams for a week or two, and each desk has a single cable coming out which provides both charging and connection to a monitor. They'd have to make it two cables. Not a big deal, but definitely not better. Needing more cables makes it more like a desktop rather than a laptop.

aTomek

Estimable
Jul 1, 2017
It will be very hard to beat current M1 MacBooks, actually it could be step back.

1. CPU/GPU - higher number of cores mean added fan - it won't be dead silent as current M1 Air.
  2. Non-chargeable via USB3 - additional power brick. Actually you can easy make yourself a "magsafe" with USB3 and cable like Volta Spark - and use the same power brick/cable for all devices. Not anymore with new Macbook Pros
  3. New case - we will see how ergonomic it will be in comparison to old series, big unknown now.
  4. Higher DPI - this could mean smaller fonts / pages on the screen. Current Retina DPI looks like a sweetspot, and there is no need to add more DPI, it won't be visible anyway (but it will drain battery faster).
The only good thing is riddance of touchbar and probably miniLED display with better screen ratio, but still in terms of ergonomy current MacBooks M1 could be the best in years to come.

Oct 13, 2021
I'm disappointed by the magsafe, without a regular USB-C port that I can use to charge my mac. Over 5 years I have invested in so many USB-C chargers, battery packs, etc., I do not want to have to use a single cable (or buy a backup).

Note I use my mac in places where macsafe won't be necessary, ex it's docked or used where people won't be tripping on my cord.