MacBook Pro 2010 dead harddrive, new harddrive not working?

MrMbss1

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
Recently a friends MacBook Pro didn't turn on, and the harddrive was clicking. He then asked me to look at it, and I declared the harddrive dead, and my own pc wouldn't recognize it either.

I then bought a 500gb WD Blue drive to replace it, but I'm facing some issues.

I started by just plugging it into the MacBook, but it didn't seem to register it, so it plugged it to my own Windows 10 pc, and formatted it as MBR, NSFT(MBR as I didn't know OS X use GUID). The MacBook then registeret it, but it fails everytime i try to reformat it from the disk utility, giving me an error saying "Partitioning failed with the error: Removal of data on the device to prevent future random investigations" (Translated from danish)

Even when I change the drive to GPT in Windows, the MacBook sees it as MBR

No matter how I format it using disk utility, I get the same error.

Is anyone able to help me?

Solution
Hey there, @MrMbss1!

I'm sorry to hear about your formatting issues with the WD Blue HDD! :( I'd recommend you download the WD Drive Utilities for Mac and see if the HDD will get properly recognized in that tool. It will allow you erase and re-format the drive through your Macbook and see if that will make it properly detected by the Mac OS X. You mentioned that the drive is recognized in the Disk utility, so I'd suggest you Test the WD Blue for defects from there as well.
Please make sure you backup all important data somewhere off-site before you tamper with the storage configuration. This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss.

Let me know how it goes. :)
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, @MrMbss1!

I'm sorry to hear about your formatting issues with the WD Blue HDD! :( I'd recommend you download the WD Drive Utilities for Mac and see if the HDD will get properly recognized in that tool. It will allow you erase and re-format the drive through your Macbook and see if that will make it properly detected by the Mac OS X. You mentioned that the drive is recognized in the Disk utility, so I'd suggest you Test the WD Blue for defects from there as well.
Please make sure you backup all important data somewhere off-site before you tamper with the storage configuration. This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss.

Let me know how it goes. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution