Review MacBook Pro 2021 (16-inch) review: Power beyond belief

ebernet

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I am surprised your review made no mention of the fact that either the 14 or the 16 can be specced exactly the same other than size with a price difference of $200 and the differing battery capacities. Otherwise the machines can be specced the same. You instead talked about the big price disparity between the two configurations you picked and how the 14" is "almost as good" as the 16". The 14 can be specced up all the way to the 16 (other than battery size) while the 16" an be specced all the way down to the lowest 14" spec...

Oct 27, 2021
I am not surprised that the SD card is not UHS-iii or SD Express simply because there are no cameras using them - and for the foreseeable future. T
USH-ii is backward compatible with all previous SD cards but USH-iii is not backward compatible with USH-ii. It goes back to UHS-i speeds if a USH-ii card is inserted.
Given that high end cameras Sony/Canon etc have standardised on USH-ii, it makes sense for Apple to keep that specification.
SD Express sounds good in theory but CF express is already here and provides very high speeds.
Sony's A1 has a handy combined UHS-ii/CF type A card slot but Canon etc use CF Express Type B for high capacity and higher speeds including support for 8k raw internal recording. There is only one SD Express card available and it is half the speed of most CF Express Type B cards. Lexar have announced that they will produce a SD Express card but only in 2022. Highly likely that no UHS-iii cards will be released.

Frankly, the SD card specification names are a mess for any normal user to understand which one would suit their needs.

What spec is the HDMI port? 2.1?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021
Was the battery test performed with the 16 inch M1 Pro or M1 Max processor? Trying to understand the battery difference between the two in mid range usage.

cdxpat

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I was trying to order one for a relative for Christmas. Seems to be zero availability currently in the UK of the 16" M1 Max variants and nobody seems to know when they will be in stock. You'll hear estimates of 4-6 weeks but my suspicion is that is "sellable some time in the future" not an accurate estimate. Is this demand, Covid related component issues or reworks due to the charging and screen problems ? I was offered full payment up front for an unknown delivery date. Is this how it works in the Apple world?

Cerberus44

Commendable
Feb 20, 2020
No Wi-Fi 6e, no Bluetooth 5.2 - 5.3. No 4K (As you stated) & oh NO Apple Centerstage included on this! Why the hell not? The new iPad Pro has it. There goes a big part of your webcam experience. Still has the dumb notch in some form. STILL NO touchscreen capability. Yeah I’m saying it AGAIN. Seriously c’mon what am I buying here & why? Talk about being “left wanting”

But this is typical Apple, they NEVER tick off ALL the boxes on ANYTHING they make, even this & they never will. If you’re spending this kind of money on anything I don’t care what it is, then you’d want every single specification/feature that’s currently out there on this thing & we all know it’s not. Again the lack of Center Stage on this is dumbfounding to say the least. Explanation for this Apple?

Last edited: