News MacBook Pro 2021 looks like the biggest upgrade in a decade — here's why

dstrauss

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I'm curious about the supposed Ethernet port you cited - I have not heard that one previously, and unless it is one of those drop jaw mechanisms that are so finicky how will they do this?

Jul 15, 2021
I will be shocked...shocked I tell you - if either a SD card reader or Ethernet jack is present on any future MacBook Pro. Apple cares about the thinness of their laptops far too much to ever put a full sized Ethernet jack on a laptop again. They would never put in a folding mechanism for an Ethernet port like Dell and HP do, it's too anti-Apple's design aesthetic. As for the SD card reader, just why? There are dongles for that already and it hurts their minimalism for something very few people actually use, outside of photography professionals. They could have added these back at any point in the last decade and it would have been praised, yet they chose not to. Why would they reverse course this year when there are already more attractive reasons to upgrade like the processor and screen? This is the company that told us we couldn't have a headphone jack anymore, if anything I suspect they will remove the headphone jack AND not give you those port options. As for HDMI, I'm kind of mixed on it, they might do that. But at the same time, it works perfectly fine over USB-C, there really is no reason for it other than convenience, and that just isn't something they do things for. They can sell more adapters if they don't do these things, which seems to be a primary motivation for both the removal of the headphone jack and the chargers from the Apple Watch and iPhone.