MacBook Pro - Discrete GPU or iGPU

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
I am in the market for a new laptop. I am a web developer/designer, so I will be using Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, multiple browsers and browser tabs, often running at the same time. There may be some time where I would be editing very short web videos, but nothing major. I would also like to use it for Steam in-home streaming/light gaming and entertainment purposes, i.e. HD video files and music files (both streaming and locally).
Edit: I will also be using an external monitor at work. Not a big deal, but I thought I would mention it.
Can I get away with the MacBook Pro that has 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB and Intel Iris Pro Graphics or should I go with the same model that has the 750m discrete GPU?
Thank you in advance for your help!

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Thanks for your reply!

I haven't used the 3D function, at all. I doubt I will in the future. It is all 2D artwork here lol.

That is good to know. Steam in-home streaming and media file streaming is not that resource intensive on the client's end, correct? As far as I know, it depends on the host and WiFi connection, right?

unclepetwinz

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
Hi, i'm a designer too and though I use windows i'm familiar with macs too, the 750m will allow for faster render times as well as speeding up filters / effects when moving images around your artboards. The GPU will also help with the second monitor, but to tell how well the iris graphics will do depends on how much VRAM it has 2gb is the recommended for 2 1080p displays.

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

If by 'client's end' you mean that you're the client, then no, any current processor with on-board graphics can handle that - as you say, wifi and other internet and networking constraints will be your limiting factor

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Yeah, I meant the MacBook Pro, or anything that is streaming the content through.