Macbook Pro keyboard and trackpad stopped working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thingamajig102

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
It's a MacBook Pro 13 (Early 2015). They don't even work inside the restore menu. However, the computer works perfectly using an external keyboard and mouse. It started working on its own one day and stopped again. Apple says the logic board is damaged due to dust and would set me back $500. What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Have you tried clearing the PRAM? Damage due to dust? HAH. My ass. The only damage dust could do is clog the fan and if it's metallic dust like in a workshop, then it can cause actual damage from shorting something out but that's very unlikely.

To clear your PRAM,

1. Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.

2. Press the power button and then press command-option-p-r. You have to make sure you get those keys pressed before the gray screen comes up or it won’t work.

3. Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you hear the startup chime.

4. Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.
Mar 23, 2018
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. The keyboard of my MacBook Pro 13'' Retina Early 2015 stopped working, only works on/off button and it is possible to do a hard shutdown with combination shift-ctrl-opt-on/off, but nothing more. I have changed the trackpad cable and it doesn't work. Also changed the keyboard, and again it doesn't work. Apple only offers me change the logic board (700€) because the product is out of warranty. I have seen lots of forums that talk about absolutely the same problem. Obviously the problem is a factory problem and Apple has to assume responsibilities. Apple said to me that they have not enought reports about this problem. All the people with this keyboard failure maybe could send a mail to Apple engineers (acsupportcase@apple.com) and demonstrate massive problems with MacBook's Pro Keyboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.