Solved! Macbook Pro Specs for editing?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

enarchay

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I personally prefer to use desktops, but since I'm transferring to NYU this summer, I don't want to lug my desktop right away, and I also want a laptop for taking notes and the increased freedom and mobility.

However, I'm having a hard time deciding between the 15" and 17" models. I was originally planning to get the 15" for a balance between size and power, but a few people recommended I go for the 17" due to increased expandability and cheaper external HDD options (which will be a must). Even so, I'm not sure how crazy I should go when making the purchase. There are options for 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3 GHz; 4GB or 8GB RAM; 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm, 128GB Solid State Drive, 256GB Solid State Drive, or 512GB Solid State Drive; glossy or antiglare screen; and so on.

I'm trying to stay as close to (or under) $2000 as possible (I should get a $200 student discount), and I'm not sure what specs to select.

I plan to use the laptop as my primary editing unit for Final Cut Pro, but again, I'm also looking for an all-around college laptop.

What would you guys recommend?

Solution

Heh.... Robbery you say? Apple Corp is a robbery...
Macs and PCs aren’t at all that different. The only notable difference is the Operating System. The hardware is about the same.
Many people comment on Mac as if they are a perfect representation of computers, basically, they claim that they have no flaws. Many T.V. shows use Mac as props; the Apple logo has basically become iconic.
But in the tech world, there are major flaws, and...

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

I was being completely facetious in my last post. You above quote was one of my points. If I were you, given what you've written, I'd probably stick with the MacBook Pro, remember, THG, generally, is a geared towards PC (spelled Wintel) enthusiasts. Hey, its one of my favorite sites, but I'm just say'n. A MacBook Pro is never going to be the best bang for the buck...that's not why people choose Apple.

I've heard of Sager, they've been around for years and years. ...and with that model I'm very impressed with amount of customization you can do...reminds me of Falcon Northwest I was considering. ...but I don't believe there are Sager stores to take your computer to if you have a have a problem (if that's relevant to you). If you decide you'd rather have a PC laptop than a Mac do some more research as there are a lot of choices. If, after you've done that research Sager comes out on top for you, then yea Sager.

I don't know...if I were going to get a PC laptop I'd have to at least look at current offerings from Falcon Northwest, Dell, Alienware, Asus, and HP. A Dell Mobile Workstation...very nice

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

Well, its pretty hard to mess up a RAM upgrade, at least...especially if you have any experience whatsoever doing them. ...but it really is the simplest of upgrades. Jglitch, that you'd be willing to pay an additional $120 as you'd prefer not to open up your shiny new Mac. Though I don't agree I do comprehend that.

Its funny, I've had a MacBook for like 2 days in the past and opened it up like 4 times doing hard drive swaps (testing) and RAM upgrades. Remember you're amongst PC enthusiasts and we do love to tinker.

Jglitch

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Yeah, I understand that, and when it comes to my old laptop and desktop pc, I agree. I guess at this point for a new MacBook I enjoy the piece of mind that it is done by the manufacturer regardless of how simple and more or less foolproof it is

enarchay

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Thanks for all the help guys. I ultimately decided to go with the 15" Mac. I understand the argument for non-Mac computers, but given the college I'm attending, I think a Mac is a must.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

Nice. Which model did you select?

enarchay

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Macbook Pro 15" - powerful enough for editing, but more portable than the 17" for my student needs.

Here are the specs:

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MBP 15"HR Antiglare WS Display

I'll get more RAM later for cheaper.

I know Macs are expensive, but consider this: I received $200 off this model for being a student, $100 rebate for a printer (=free printer), and a $100 back-to-school gift-card that can be used in the app store.

P.S. Does anyone have experience with shipment via Mac? Since this counts as a "custom" order, it says it could take up to 3 days to ship. I leave for college this Sunday, so I'm hoping it arrives before then (I selected 2-3 day shipping). If not, I'll have to re-route the package.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

Sweet, I purchased basically the same machine...you'll like it I think. I went with the 2.3Ghz HR Antiglare.... I have delt with shipping from Apple for my Mac Pro and lot of accessories since. Shipping is fast and my Mac Pro arrived in flawless condition. I'm not sure you'll get it by Friday, though. It may not ship until then.