pllcull08

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
Hi there,

Over the past few days my laptop has been...misbehaving...

I'll briefly go over the details because I have no idea how long I have until it shuts down on me again...

Basically, my laptop can't keep running for any length of time. The battery is always well above 80%, yet my laptop has been FREQUENTLY restarting randomly.

What have I noticed that's odd? Well, when it restarts, the wifi won't connect. At all. And it's not my internet service provider or my router, its this stupid laptop. It turns on and automatically defaults to a wired ethernet connection and doesn't give me the opportunity to switch to wireless at all!

Then I'm forced to restart my laptop again, in the hopes that when I do it'll fix itself (which it does every now and then).

In addition, my laptop has been freezing randomly. I.e. early today I was watching a youtube video and it froze halfway through (my laptop, not the video) and the sound was stuck so for example if the video was of a dog then it was like wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (f) only the f didn't come because after around 5 seconds of it being frozen it shut down.

I really don't know what's wrong with it. I am fairly certain this is a hardware issue as I was on the phone earlier this week to HP regarding a similar problem which seems to have since been resolved. However they recommended I have the laptop picked up for repair anyways, but that's no good to me as I'm a student and need my laptop every single day and cannot be without it.

Is there any possibility that it's something I can fix myself?

Also, it's worth noting that my latop hasn't done this like 4 or 5 times...I'm talking upwards of 30 times in the past 24 hours. It is VERY frustrating.

It's an HP Pavillion Beats Special Edition Laptop (look up the specifications and you'll see it's a fairly capable machine) if that helps.

Thank you in advance, even if you merely highlight the fact that this laptop is screwed up and needs repair!

P.S. when i was on the phone to the HP guy he made me install a BIOS update. That is honestly the only thing I can think of which has caused this. Is this a possibility? Also, I got the laptop for Christmas so it's very new and was bought from HP website.

Solution
If this happened after the bios update it is very possible there are issues with that update. I would go to your products website, download a new version of the bios, and re install the new bios update. The bios controls all of the hardware attached to the motherboard (everything) and if the download was corrupt somehow it will have odd effects on your computer. If it is not that, there is no real good way of diagnosing the computer remotely and you will have to give it to HP. Best of luck

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
If this happened after the bios update it is very possible there are issues with that update. I would go to your products website, download a new version of the bios, and re install the new bios update. The bios controls all of the hardware attached to the motherboard (everything) and if the download was corrupt somehow it will have odd effects on your computer. If it is not that, there is no real good way of diagnosing the computer remotely and you will have to give it to HP. Best of luck

Solution

Entomber

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
if you only got it for Christmas, it should still be under warranty, but if you try to fiddle with stuff outside of HP's supervision you could very well void your warranty; it's better to have them fix it for you for free.