Malwarebytes blocked a site due to Hijack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2018
I just got a pop-up from Malwarebytes that said, "website blocked due to hijack." I was not looking for any website at the time, though I did have several pages open. Should I be concerned?

Solution
So, what MWB was probably blocking was an infected Ad on one of the pages. I can't say for certain, but it should tell you somewhere what address was blocked. If it's some janky looking thing, it was probably an Ad.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
So, what MWB was probably blocking was an infected Ad on one of the pages. I can't say for certain, but it should tell you somewhere what address was blocked. If it's some janky looking thing, it was probably an Ad.

Solution
Mar 20, 2019
It appears that MalwareBytes is "not ready for PrimeTime" in this respect. I turned this feature off. The reason I did so is that MalwareBytes bases it's decision upon the IP address alone. This is inappropriate since most websites use shared hosting which means that both good and bad websites will share the same IP address. MalwareBytes definitely got it wrong here. You can't potentially block nearly half the internet because they use shared hosting. That's like using a sledgehammer on a thumbtack.

Status
Not open for further replies.