Malwarebytes Premium keeps running a scan that finds the same thing each time it runs even when I quarantine the results. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowledgged

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Every time I run a threat scan I get the same information of PUP and adware.Sometimes it just runs an automatic scan and it finds the same information. The adware is Yontoo the PUPs are something to do with Google. Sorry I'm not very tech aware.

Solution
I too just started having a similar issue. I myself am pretty tech savy. I built my own media system, and I have always been super careful about what i install on my system.

I recently have too ran maleware bytes and got 4 PUP.optional finds, but mine where 3 sweetpacks and one that is Pup.Optional.ASK. All fo these where too found in google section as i use Chrome.

I have had issues with Sweetpacks in the past, but was able to remove it. My issue here, much like the original poster, Maleware byutes quarantines these files, and I re-scan right away, and they pop right back up. I went into my Program uninstall section of control panel, and I see nothing sweetpacks related in the list, nor do I see anything out of the ordinary...

This...

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
I too just started having a similar issue. I myself am pretty tech savy. I built my own media system, and I have always been super careful about what i install on my system.

I recently have too ran maleware bytes and got 4 PUP.optional finds, but mine where 3 sweetpacks and one that is Pup.Optional.ASK. All fo these where too found in google section as i use Chrome.

I have had issues with Sweetpacks in the past, but was able to remove it. My issue here, much like the original poster, Maleware byutes quarantines these files, and I re-scan right away, and they pop right back up. I went into my Program uninstall section of control panel, and I see nothing sweetpacks related in the list, nor do I see anything out of the ordinary...

This is my setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BqHhP6

Solution

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
UPDATE:

Okay, I am not sure if I can help the original poster, but I have discovered something odd with my setup, and I think it involves my Google sync settings.

When I would quarantine the 4 threats with maleware bytes, they would come right back. So I took the info maleware bytes had on where the threats where, and all 4 of them where pointed to the same ONE file on my system. That file was located at:

C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data

I made sure google chrome was closed, and I then went into File explorer, went into my Useres folder, and clicked on 'show hidden files/folders so I could get access to the AppData folder. I then found the file that maleware bytes was seeing as a potential threat, and deleted it. I scanned my computer with maleware bytes again, and it found nothing.

I then opened google chrome, and that generated the web data file to return. I then scanned that file alone with maleware bytes, and the 4 potential threats returned. I then went into my Chrome settings, and reset it back to default settings, which would un-sync and sign my browser out of my google account. I closed chrome, and then deleted the Web Data file again. When I re-opened chrome, the web data file popped back up, but when I scanned it with malware bytes, nothing came back as a threat. However, as soon as I re-signed into my google account and re-sync the data, the web data file shows the 4 threats in Male ware bytes again. So I repeated the process I original did where I reset chrome, and the threats are not being found.

This appears to be something that is in sync with my google account. Is that possible? And if so, how do I remove it from my google account so it stops coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.