Man Arrested for Refusing to Tweet at Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
oh please, like everyone that was already there and screaming their lungs out would have just whipped out their phones, checked his twitter and went home peacefully.

i've seen those crowds for others before, sanity is something that is checked at the door.

love to see how those charges stand up in court.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
It is an intriguing story considering that Twitter is a relatively new...well whatever Twitter is...

but anyway I still think the cops were in the right. Especially if he really was also still promoting autographs and crap while they tried to clear the place out. People really can get badly hurt and it was their job to calm things down.

You're welcome to disagree with me but in that case I'd suggest you've that forgotten the Wal-Mart employee that got trampled over the xbox, and I'd also suggest you don't know much about ravenous packs of teenage girls.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]oh please, like everyone that was already there and screaming their lungs out would have just whipped out their phones, checked his twitter and went home peacefully.i've seen those crowds for others before, sanity is something that is checked at the door.love to see how those charges stand up in court.[/citation]

You make a valid point that they still might not have left...but it doesn't change his non-compliance. People have died in similar situations that were less intense and had even fewer people around. I'm not sure if the charges would stand but I think they should.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]we got people getting fired and arrested for tweeting...NOW we got people getting fired and arrested for NOT tweeting?????wtf????[/citation](any others)
No. The article states what it states, not what you want it to state. He was arrested for not complying with a police order that tried to prevent damage and injuries.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
A Twitter msg from James Roppo?? They would have been like, "wtf is James Roppo?!!"

And before this post, I would have been like, "wtf is Justin Bieber?!"

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I am one of the first people to stand up for police and the government in general and still think this is obnoxious. "they are not allowing me to come into the mall. if you dont leave I and my fans will be arrested as the police just told us."

I understand there is probably some legal way this could be done, but it's complete bullshit that you would arrest a musician for having fans.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I think they need to clarify whether Roppo actually -got- this alleged message from the police. It says they asked. Asked how? Left a message with his secretary? Actually talked to him? Hell, maybe they sent out their own 'tweet' telling him to do so.

Also, as said, I as well doubt people would have just checked twitter when they're all excited about the event. And yes, it does matter. If the police actually wanted results, they would have asked Roppo to actually go to the mall and make an announcement. Arresting him for not tweeting, whether it was non-compliance or not, is a bit ridiculous. Arresting him for not physically trying to do something, which apparently they didn't ask him to do, might make sense, depending on his schedule.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
"However, tweets from Justin's profile show the 15-year-old R&B singer tried to send people home on two occasions.

they are not allowing me to come into the mall. if you dont leave I and my fans will be arrested as the police just told us.

the event at roosevelt mall is cancelled. please go home. the police have already arrested one person from my camp. I dont want anyone hurt"

Unless Bieber's later actions contradicted his tweets, I think he is off the hook.

OTOH, if the police ask you to do something, and you do not have a very good reason not to, why not simply comply?

ceejer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Wait, since when was Long Island in Canada? They haven't attacked and taken it over, have they? I mean, it's just a matter of time before they do, but I thought I would have heard about it when it happens.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
WTF, since when is crowd control the responsibility of someone other than the police?

Hey you come over and direct traffic or you'll go to jail. I need to grab a doughnut and some coffee.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The charges wont stand. Not sure how much different the legal system is up there but if it's anything similar to the US technically it's not his responsibility. If the police are incompetent enough to not be able to handle the situation I think they have a bigger problem and any lawyer worth their degree will tell you that.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
nobody gives a fuck, seriously guys i have the case of the mondays. I look forward to some awesome computer news and what not and it when i get shit like this, no offense to justin or anyone; i am just pissed. fucking hate mondays

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS