Man Arrested Robbing RuneScape Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
... This was the first? I doubt it. More like the first that got caught.

I have a friend who actually made hundreds of dollars doing this, the RuneScape kiddies are total sheep.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I suppose he's going to get 20 years in jail for this and a $250k fine -- seems to be the going rate for so many digital "crimes" of late.

adillhoff

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
So having some retard actually respond to a phishing attempt makes you a "hacker"? Damn I must be some super genius mega hacker because I can make blinky text on an html website.

G

I think stealing or looting special items is more in.
What can a man do with a character? How can he steal it?
The character is always connected to the account,it just needs a password reset request,and it's fully yours again!

(unless the hacker has your email password too)

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]adillhoff[/nom]So having some retard actually respond to a phishing attempt makes you a "hacker"? Damn I must be some super genius mega hacker because I can make blinky text on an html website.[/citation]
Dude i cant agree with you more, the term 'Hacker' is grossly overused, really...there are very few hakers out there in the world, like in the sub-thousand range. Just cuz a moron can execute a phishing scam..ya not hax0r...at all.

shamgar

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
i wonder if this '1337 haxx0r' will now move onto much more graphically evolved games, such as crysis!!!!!!!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
i was about to ask why hasnt anyone asked.

But can he hack crysis?!

ty shamgar...

btw isnt that getting old for you people to make that joke about that crappy game?

windndust

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
So having some retard actually respond to a phishing attempt makes you a "hacker"? Damn I must be some super genius mega hacker because I can make blinky text on an html website

The word "hacker" has a wide array of definitions. However, I think most were created by the media and their lack of understanding of the computer science world.

I'm a 3rd year Software Engineering student and I haven't the ego to call myself a hacker.

windndust

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
^ and look ^

My three years of schooling hasn't even allowed me to quote properly in comments on tom's guide. I obviously have a long way to go before I attain hacker status like the guy mentioned in the article.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Doesn't really seem like there was any hacking, from reading this article. And as for the target being runescape characters, I suppose it follows the old saying, "One man's trash, is another man's treasure."

madman1391

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Average age of a runescape player is actually higher than you think, there are many 20-40 year olds who play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.