Man Caught Stealing Game Code @ PAX East

Status
Not open for further replies.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
K so he fricking told you over and over that he was taking your code, and you let him do it anyway. I dont think he should get jail time. I think you need to hire people who arent idiots.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
"I'm stealing the game code"
"No, really, what are you doing."
"...Dude, I'm stealing the game code"
"It's not funny the second time"
"I'm really stealing the game code bro"
"I think this guy may actually be stealing ga....he just ran away"

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
This reminds of he Paul Whitehouses character from the show 'The Fast show' where he plays a thief and tells all his not to leave in near something he could steal.

Silicon Jesus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I wonder, if I leave my laptop open and logged in, and someone should walk up to it and play solitaire, is that illegal? Is it only if they copy a doc to their flash drive? What if they just open and look at a doc? Would it be different if a friend came over and copied my savegames from my PS3?
What if I allow my mother into my place and does one of these things when I'm in the bathroom? Will that change the answers to the previous questions?

I'm not making some point here, these are just questions that come to mind that I have no idea of the answers to. The answers don't seem unimportant.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
"Because of the work we do for military and intelligence organizations, we take security issues like this very seriously,"
Yet they did not do anything the second they saw him plug in to download the code? You don't say you take security issues seriously and at the same time laugh when someone says they are stealing your code.

G

Why the hell was the code put somewhere anyone could touch it? Hello? If it's not on the network to GET it can't be stolen. Compile off net, set binaries that lock to specific hardware.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Atomic Games President Peter Tamte told Joystiq that the thief managed to grab around 14 MB of code. "Because of the work we do for military and intelligence organizations, we take security issues like this very seriously," he told the site.

Really thats how serious you take security issues huh? You leave sensative data/materials in the open where anyone can get their hands on, they tell you they are stealing your stuff and you still get caught with your pants down.

Ahhhhh this world is so full of idiots. And you people want to trust the cloud huh? TRUST NO ONE PEOPLE!!!

G

"The suspect did admit to us several times, including as he was doing it, that he was stealing the code," the Atomic Games representative admitted. "He said to myself and several other team members, after being caught, that it was not a big deal, he just really liked the game and wanted to play it with his friends."
"Because of the work we do for military and intelligence organizations, we take security issues like this very seriously."
In completely unrelated news, an Atomic Games spokesman announced that his company's military contracts have been terminated.

notty22

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
He probably identified the shortcut~ main .EXE file that was used/compiled to run in a loop for the display demo. Right clicked on it, send to bluetooth, had is laptop set to receive.

G

[citation]Many of the hackers who stole Valve's Half-Life 2 code were tracked down by the FBI's Cybercrime Task Force.[/citation]
Yeah, and just how much of Half-Life 2 code is sitting in the alt.binarie newsgroups hierarchy which people with newsreaders such as NewsBin Pro have been downloading without getting caught?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Mullroy: What's your purpose in Port Royal, Mr. Smith?
Murtogg: Yeah, and no lies.
Jack Sparrow: Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out.
Murtogg: I said no lies.
Mullroy: I think he's telling the truth.
Murtogg: If he were telling the truth, he wouldn't have told us.
Jack Sparrow: Unless, of course, he knew you wouldn't believe the truth even if he told it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.