many questions on setup for chromecast

tkobo

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Hi,old tv died,so needed new one.New one was a used one that came with a chromecast.I have no idea how to set it up or what i need to do so,out of what i actually can.

I dont have a smart phone at all, And the android tablet i have is an old pandigital which is not a high enough version of android to use for the setup.

So, in thinking of getting a low end win7 laptop and using that for the setup.Can i do it this way ?

Can i have the laptop wired to my network /ethernet,and setup the chromecast from it ?
I have a wifi,but the tv is on the second floor and the wifi router is on the first floor,so wifi is spotty at best by the tv.

tkobo

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Ive read that,but it also says things like
*your computer can be no more than 20' away
*you must be connected to the same wifi

For setup,it also only talks about laptops,not desktops.My desktop is on the first floor anyway.Far more than 20'

Which is why i was thinking of using a laptop.But it doesnt say whether the laptop has to connected to the network by wifi,or if it can be wired.

i just noticed,i typed tablet where i meant laptop

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished
You realize desktop and laptop are the same thing right? As long as they both run Windows then the instructions apply.

The 20 feet they specify is only a recommendation. As long as your PC and the Chromecast are both on the same network you should be fine.