Marvel Wants the iPad to Be Your Comic Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
For as much of a ripoff as the iPad is, I'm afraid that developer support for iPad-specific apps will make it a phenomenal success. Here's to hoping that we can get an Android or better yet, Courier device that will see as much (if not more) support so that Apple can go back to playing second fiddle. I'm sick of seeing iDrones carrying all the same iGadgets on the metro to work.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I assume the iPad has the ability to print? If so, could you print off your own copy to store and or give to kid to read?

Or am I totally off base about this?

polly the parrot

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Kind of hard for a kid to snuggle up with and a flashlight under the covers to read a comic book after being told to go to bed. Ahhh, the good old days...

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
and more environmentally friendly than getting a hard paper copy
Really? I thought that when the iPad's battery dies, that they throw out the entire iPad and send you a new one. That is not particularly environmentally friendly...

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
comic books? in color? on an iPad? Now we're talking. With the right stuff that appeals to consumers the apps may become the driving force that generate sales of the iPad.

[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]I assume the iPad has the ability to print? If so, could you print off your own copy to store and or give to kid to read?Or am I totally off base about this?[/citation]
Printing it yourself still won't give it $1000's of dollars in value 50 years from now. It could never be a collectible in a digital format. Though I don't see the point in collecting comic books.

They were interesting when I was a kid. I could not bear reading one now.

G

collecting comics is worthless now, theyr over produced and are no longer collectable. They just seeing were the markets going

G

Yeah people are forgetting Disney bought Marvel, and that Jobs is one of the biggest shareholders at Disney if not the biggest... :|

Agree, title should say "Disney wants..." :p

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Alan Moore, comic book author including "Watchmen", commenting on the movie adaptation of "Watchman"...

"I shan't be going to see it. My book is a comic book. Not a movie, not a novel. A comic book. It's been made in a certain way, and designed to be read a certain way: in an armchair, nice and cozy next to a fire, with a steaming cup of coffee."

I believe this sums up the reading experience in general...books, comic books, novels, etc, where meant to be read in the format intended by the author. Another example...sure you can look up a .jpgs of some of the greatest paintings on the planet, but to truly appreciate them you need to see them in person, hence museums. Let us not let technology detract from the art itself. Support your local comic book store!

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]Alan Moore, comic book author including "Watchmen", commenting on the movie adaptation of "Watchman"..."I shan't be going to see it. My book is a comic book. Not a movie, not a novel. A comic book. It's been made in a certain way, and designed to be read a certain way: in an armchair, nice and cozy next to a fire, with a steaming cup of coffee." I believe this sums up the reading experience in general...books, comic books, novels, etc, where meant to be read in the format intended by the author. Another example...sure you can look up a .jpgs of some of the greatest paintings on the planet, but to truly appreciate them you need to see them in person, hence museums. Let us not let technology detract from the art itself. Support your local comic book store![/citation]

While I agre with you a 100% my concern,and it isn't just for comic books,but if there is a way to reduce the amout of paper being used then I welcome it.On the upside a lot of kids just can't get the comic books at the prices in the stores,with a lot of them at 5 to 8 dollars.So it does makes it easier for some kids to at least get into comic books.

G

first of all, no collectors value in paying 1.99 for a damn book. 2nd, that's too damn expensive for an e-Comic. 3rd, there are already websites out there that allow me the read the full quality scans for- wait for it- FREE. Finally, almost all smartphones on the market can access those sites. Why in the hell pay for these comics on an iPad when I can access it from any device already?

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Marvel Wants the iPad to Be Your Comic Book.

And I want my car to be a Ferrari, unfortunately I don't sh*t money.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]For as much of a ripoff as the iPad is, I'm afraid that developer support for iPad-specific apps will make it a phenomenal success. Here's to hoping that we can get an Android or better yet, Courier device that will see as much (if not more) support so that Apple can go back to playing second fiddle. I'm sick of seeing iDrones carrying all the same iGadgets on the metro to work.[/citation]People are allowed to make their own personal decisions. You make it sound like you have uncovered their secret plan to take over the world. Your jealous. Apple is successful and your pissed. Get over it. Why don't you develop something that you truly want and get back to us. That's right... you cant. If you could, you wouldn't be here complaining about iDrones with iGadgets. Rock on Apple.

G

[citation][nom]hollowtek[/nom]first of all, no collectors value in paying 1.99 for a damn book. 2nd, that's too damn expensive for an e-Comic. 3rd, there are already websites out there that allow me the read the full quality scans for- wait for it- FREE. Finally, almost all smartphones on the market can access those sites. Why in the hell pay for these comics on an iPad when I can access it from any device already?[/citation]

That's call stealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.