Mass Effect Gets Picked Up For Hollywood Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Let it not be before Mass Effect 3. I know that i has the potential to be great but in all honesty most if not all game->movie adaptations went horribly wrong.
In any case let Commander Shepard be played by Milla Jovovich, redhead version :D.
Who said Shepard was a man?!?!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wait they make a movie on a game like this while Halo: the movie sit's in cold ice?

I hate stuff for no reason now.

Not quite sure if the movie will be good or not but i'll definitely see it.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]Who said Shepard was a man?!?![/citation]

erm the entire franchise is based around the male shepard just look at the front covers....

could be done very well, the games have a film quality to them at the best of times, would be interesting to see aslong as they stick to the storyline of the games

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Both good games, there is allot of story there. I just hope Hollywood does not screw it up like they did Doom and change the story line to what they see as politically correct. Remember Doom the scientists opened a portal to Hell itself but the movie hacks did not like that so they said it was a a virus.

sagansrun

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Whatever happend to a HalfLife Movie? Id rather see a movie based on that game. Id Always thought Jeff Goldblum would have made a great Gorden Freeman, but now he's getting kind of old...

th_at

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
This one will predictably fail as they all do.

Video games by and large have dull plots. The fun is that you get to play it. A movie of this will result in little more than a video walkthough.

If you make a movie out of ME, it will be obvious that it's just Bablyon 5 (Citadel, alien politics) meets BSG (bad robots). And in the movie there won't be exploring the world, making decisions, upgrading you character or choosing your party. Swell!

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
th_at, everything you typed is absolutely bullshit.
Video games have dull plots? Maybe a red plumber saving a princess is still stuck in your little mind, but many, many titles over the years have had stories as, if not MUCH more engaging then what you see on the silver screen. Go back to sleep for another 15 years.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
If they have a story that does not involve commander Shepard this would be good. Maybe the relay 314 incident or something (just one example). I guess it'd be cool because they could use one of the Matriarchs in the game and keep the voice from the original game, without setting a canonical sex/appearence for Shepard. At least with Halo, it's easy to hide the MC's voice behind his helmet, but commander Shepard would have to show his/her face at some point in the movie or it wouldn't work.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]If they have a story that does not involve commander Shepard this would be good. Maybe the relay 314 incident or something (just one example). I guess it'd be cool because they could use one of the Matriarchs in the game and keep the voice from the original game, without setting a canonical sex/appearence for Shepard. At least with Halo, it's easy to hide the MC's voice behind his helmet, but commander Shepard would have to show his/her face at some point in the movie or it wouldn't work.[/citation]

Actually your wrong in your outlook. What makes a good movie is when people are able to consider the main characters as real people with real hardships, not some faceless soldier behind a mask. Peter Jackson even brought that to light himself during the intial talk of a Halo movie. If you want a Halo movie that would be worth a damn it would HAVE to begin and soley stay with MC from the time he was a young boy being taken to Reach to start the Spartan Program. Basically if the movie was to have a chance it would have to be based of the book, "Fall of Reach". Only after following that story line could they continue on with the story archs that follow the video games and people be able to have a clue as to what is happening.

For ME, they'd need to stick to the main betrayal/conflict between Saren and Shepard and not fool around to much with trying to squeeze in to much of the fodder of him forming his team to take on Saren and the conflict with the councel. To much detail can be just as bad as not enuff.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I don't understand why there are so many negative comments on here, I think this has the potential to be a great movie, especially considering the credentials of those already listed to be involved. And being a huge fan of both games, even if the movie sucks, it's not going to ruin the game for me...it'll just be a disappointment. And as to those arguing for a female shepard / no shepard...get over it... Firstly, female shepards were thrown in as an interesting option, but the way the story is built as well as the vast majority of mass effect media, show Shepard to be a man. And since it's a movie they're obviously only going to be able to show one possible outcome of the game...but again, I think there is a bit of a "default" storyline, and many of the events along the story happen whether you are paragon or renegade.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Unless it would be a redhead who likes to shoot first and never bother asking questions later, using mass abilities and a shotgun, with steamy scenes between said redhead and a blue alien, I'm not interested.
I like to play the bad guy (or gal in this case). I can't help me. :)
Maybe that's why I like KotOR so much (seriously, double sided lightsaber wins every time).

If it's not the way I played, I'm not interested. :)

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
So I just went onto IMDB to look at the voice actors for ME1...they could totally use the voice actors to portray the characters in the movie...assuming the voice actors could also act on screen...it seems like most of the characters in ME were designed to resemble the voice actors...at least the human ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.