Massive Database Hacked; Email Addresses Stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
We regret this has taken place and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information. For more information on keeping your data safe, please visit:
http://www.geeksquad.com/do-it-yourself/tech-tip/six-steps-to-keeping-your-data-safe.aspx.

What about you guys? what website do you visit about keeping my data safe? WTF?

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]We regret this has taken place and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information. For more information on keeping your data safe, please visit:http://www.geeksquad.com/do-it-you [...] safe.aspx. What about you guys? what website do you visit about keeping my data safe? WTF?[/citation]
Certainly not that one. That link's broken! :lol:

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks for the link, I already know how to keep my data safe; that can not be said of you, who already got my data stolen. Gotta love spins like that, where somehow the client is responsible for the company's f**k-up.
Let it be said, these so-called 'hackers" are mere employees of the said Epsilon company that sold their clients out for a decent lump of cash. I see those occurrences on a regular basis, but never a follow-up on that, like "we caught the bad guys, or we are in the process of catching the bad guys, will let you know".
That would minimum of courtesy shown to a client who was let down by you; even the police, after one reports theft, gets back to you with some sort of conclusion. These companies, however, are above any rules of decent behavior, unless it makes them money right then and there.
And, somehow, there are never consequences to their mistakes... They keep in business without even a slap on the wrist, even though their mistakes are very costly for us (try fixing your credit score and you'll see what I'm talking about).

G

I am already getting personalized phishing messages that include my name - so far they are at least poorly written. I doubt that all they got was an email address and name - they probably also got phone numbers, addresses, job titles, etc.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I read someone here say it best: the WWW is like the Wild West, and it's probably not going to be more secure anytime soon. I try and limit my online purchases to the use of a credit card that has outstanding protection against fraud and am very mindful of my credit score. Beyond that I just try and use common sense.

G

They definitely got more than e-mail addresses as yesterday received a call from a foreigner with a bad accent from Virtualpcdoctor I immediately started recording the conversation and played along with them wasted about 25 minutes of their time and then proceeded to inform them that I knew that they were scammers and they promptly hung up on me.

I have never received phone calls of such a nature before so I'm guessing there's a good chance they got our phone number from Epsilon's database being hacked.

I am definitely not happy that such a company has allowed this to happen all I can hope is that they had no access to my credit card or other personal information.

I am seriously considering phoning my bank and credit card and warning them of possible unauthorized use maybe I'm just paranoid.

Here's a link to the Virtual PC Doctor. phone call I received yesterday

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KA39YNCG

G

Do you believe that Best Buy had the nerve to pitch their "Geek Squad" services in an email telling us that our email addresses had been stolen? INSANE.

mark0718

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
The letter from Best Buy says, in part:
"be very cautious when opening links or attachments from unknown senders."
but as Leo Laporte and other have pointed out, the senders are likely to
be known senders as far as anyone could reasonably be expected to
determine, and therefore (per Laporte and others, including myself) the warnings
should not imply that emails from known senders should ever be trusted.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
[citation][nom]house70[/nom] I see those occurrences on a regular basis, but never a follow-up on that, like "we caught the bad guys, or we are in the process of catching the bad guys, will let you know".That would minimum of courtesy shown to a client who was let down by you; even the police, after one reports theft, gets back to you with some sort of conclusion. [/citation]

That is what journalists are for, like those at Tomshardware, to check back and pressure these people. Are the good journalists at Toms going to do that for us?

jojesa

Distinguished
I thought they were pulling my leg, so to speak, since I got the first message about compromised email address on April 1st.
I have been receiving messages everyday since then. Is everybody using the same crappy company?

Status
Not open for further replies.