maximum usage and efficiency from laptop usb ports

rimartic

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
hi
i have lenovo Y700 gaming laptop but as much as gaming i do lot of multimedia converting , editing and file transfer between external HDDs.
this laptop has 2 usb3 and 1 usb2 port
i have connected a four port usb3 hub to one of usb3 ports and also an usb2 hub to only usb2 port to maximize my ports number for connecting (wireless keyboard and mouse , external DVD-RW , several ext HDD ) but im looking for a way to increase transfer rate because basically transferring speed of a port will be divided between number of connected devices
i know there are some ways like some changes in usb connection settings (from Quick removal to better performance witch is not much effective!! ) but are there other ways to maximize transfer rate of every usb port?

Solution
What sort of transfer speeds are you seeing right now? It's fairly unlikely that a pair of external hard drives can saturate a USB 3 connection. Most external drives top out around 100-200 MB/s, which is well below USB 3 transfer rates. And the majority are 5400 rpm drives that would never see those kinds of speeds in the first place.

In general though, you'd want the low bandwidth devices like your keyboard and mouse and DVD-RW all on USB 2 to leave the USB 3 for the drives. USB 3 supports full duplex so it isn't important to keep them on separate controllers. And in all likelihood, your laptop probably only has one controller for the two ports anyway.

TMTOWTSAC

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
What sort of transfer speeds are you seeing right now? It's fairly unlikely that a pair of external hard drives can saturate a USB 3 connection. Most external drives top out around 100-200 MB/s, which is well below USB 3 transfer rates. And the majority are 5400 rpm drives that would never see those kinds of speeds in the first place.

In general though, you'd want the low bandwidth devices like your keyboard and mouse and DVD-RW all on USB 2 to leave the USB 3 for the drives. USB 3 supports full duplex so it isn't important to keep them on separate controllers. And in all likelihood, your laptop probably only has one controller for the two ports anyway.

Solution