Media player to receiver via Coaxial SPDIF Digital Audio connector

masty88

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Hi guys

I have a Xuum Dual core streaming media player which I have Kodi on to play my movies.

I have a Sony STR-DH500 Receiver which only accepts video via the HDMI ports (not audio passover).

Therefore I usually have to use an optical Toslink cable as well (WD media player) to get sound from my receiver.

However, the Xuum Dual core streaming media player has what I think is a Coaxial SPDIF Digital Audio connector. I purchased a StarTech 6ft Toslink to Mini Digital Optical SPDIF Audio Cable but am not getting any audio (the toslink connector went inside my receiver).

I have also tried what I think are Component cables in the receiver's Digital coaxial jack but the cable was very loose when plugged into the Xuum player & again there was no sound.

I have a few different component cables & all of these have a loose fitting on the Xuum player & produce no sound.

Am I doing something wrong? I would just purchase a Digital Audio Coax Coaxial SPDIF Phono Cable but I think these are the same as component cables anyway right?

Please help, I'm really stuck :(

Did you try using the HDMI input for video and audio? When they describe the HDMI as a pass through that means there is no video processing applied to it. It doesn't mean that the audio is not sent into the receiver and processed for surround sound.
You have to go into the receiver set up menu and configure it to use the audio from the HDMI input.

masty88

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Thanks for your reply Alabalcho. I have tried to alter the audio output on the XUUM player but there is no option (only video).

On kodi under settings the Audio Output device states: android, audiotrack. This is greyed out though and I cannot select or change it.

I connected the XUUM player to my HDTV via a HDMI lead & the player outputted sound via the tv speakers (the Audio output option still stated android, audiotrack which was greyed out and not selectable.

masty88

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Thanks for your reply americanaudiophile. Unfortunately my receiver (Sony STR-DH500) only provides HDMI switching. It does not decode HDMI audio so I am forced to use an alternative cable for audio :(