Solved! memory query

Apr 23, 2019
hi all, i was wondering if someone could help me. my old compaq presario cq61 (i know its old) broke and i managed to pick up the same model very cheap. however, this one does seem to run as well as my old one that broke so my question is would it help if i took the memory from my broken laptop and put it into the working laptop therefore upgrading from 4 gb memory to 8 gb memory? or does any additional memory have to be new? any advice would be welcome

Lee

Solution
Did you swap your drive into the one you got? Could be slower due to the hard drive or Window setup, programs that run at startup taking up resources.
Hopefully you did not spend more than $50 on that system, it's pretty old and you can find much better ones for $100. What you can do if you like that one is get a 120gb solid state drive and install Windows clean on that. Will speed up the computer by a lot from the standard old drive.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
If I understand correctly, both laptops have 4 gigs of RAM?

If that's the case, you could only do that if the new laptop has spare/empty memory slots where you could fit the RAM from your old one. I really doubt that's the case.

Now, if your old laptop has 8 gigs and the new one has 4 gigs and the RAM is user-accessible, then you could swap them.

Caveat: In either case I'm assuming both are using the same kind of memory, but if it's the same model they probably are.

Apr 23, 2019
If I understand correctly, both laptops have 4 gigs of RAM?

If that's the case, you could only do that if the new laptop has spare/empty memory slots where you could fit the RAM from your old one. I really doubt that's the case.

Now, if your old laptop has 8 gigs and the new one has 4 gigs and the RAM is user-accessible, then you could swap them.

Caveat: In either case I'm assuming both are using the same kind of memory, but if it's the same model they probably are.

thanks for your help. you are right, for some reason i was under the impression i had a spare memory slot. i dont know why, maybe i have seen it somewhere. anyhow i have 2 slots and both are taken. must be 2 gb and 2 gb.
not sure why this laptop is so slow but not much point in buying a modern more powerful laptop as i only play a few facebook games, answer emails and use youtube.
anyway its back to the drawing board.
once again thanks for your help

Lee

Did you swap your drive into the one you got? Could be slower due to the hard drive or Window setup, programs that run at startup taking up resources.
Hopefully you did not spend more than $50 on that system, it's pretty old and you can find much better ones for $100. What you can do if you like that one is get a 120gb solid state drive and install Windows clean on that. Will speed up the computer by a lot from the standard old drive.

Solution