Mercedes-AMG Goes Green with Electric SLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
So roughly 500 horsepower in a electric... What's the range? If you start cramming batteries into a sports car it begins to corner a bit like an SUV. Still, I'll bet it'll be sweet.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Piece of $***! Why the hell do they make these cars. If anyone would buy a$200,000 car it would be for luxury not performance. Can anyone drive over 80mph without getting caught? Make a $50,000 version and I might actually see one in my lifetime

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Battery capacity is usually measured in Amp Hours. Not volts.[/citation]

I noticed this on another Tom's article.

The word capacity implies a store of energy, which is measured in joules or Kilowatt hours (or watt seconds, it's all joules).

Volts are used to measure a potential difference between two points, and doesn't give you much information if you don't know the resistance of the system or the current it can sustain.

The power from an electric motor is related to the current running through it, so giving a measure of the kind of amps it can handle would be good.

Or just a range if you push it at full throttle until it runs out of juice.

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
A 525 HP car, shouldn't be called green. This car will be charged with electricity, that in most cases isn't a green energy and this car will need a lot of it. For example 50% of USA Electricity is produced with coal (probably the less green energy on this planet). I'm pretty sure a low emission fuel car will produce less CO2 of this one (if you count the CO2 produced in making the electricity used by it). But yes it is "greener" than a 500 HP fuel car ...

tearlach2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
How fast does this charge 400 volts? What if I only wanted to go to the store and it was empty and I only needed like 30 volts to get to the store and back, so how many volts per second is the charger rated?

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]Piece of $***! Why the hell do they make these cars. If anyone would buy a$200,000 car it would be for luxury not performance. Can anyone drive over 80mph without getting caught? Make a $50,000 version and I might actually see one in my lifetime[/citation]

Its because it electric 1. And if you think a high prrice means it has to be luxurious then you haave never, ever, thought about driving a car to a track have you? A car this price, with only 2 seats has that in mind. Being able to drive it to the track, flog the piss out of it then drive it back with ice cold ac and high quality sound. And maybe a quick stop at your fave restaraunt on the way home too.

Afaiak... wonder if the motors and batteriees can take the strain f being flogged for an entire charge. Asw well as the rechargve time.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
The tesla roadster does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds with 288 horsepower.
This car has almost twice the power, and yet is slower. Is it made out of concrete bricks?
The GM EV-1 did 0-60 in 8 seconds with 137hp.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]blasterth[/nom]A 525 HP car, shouldn't be called green. This car will be charged with electricity, that in most cases isn't a green energy and this car will need a lot of it. For example 50% of USA Electricity is produced with coal (probably the less green energy on this planet). I'm pretty sure a low emission fuel car will produce less CO2 of this one (if you count the CO2 produced in making the electricity used by it). But yes it is "greener" than a 500 HP fuel car ...[/citation]

yeah but what you and everyone else forgets is that even so it uses less CO2 to produce the energy to charge it than the petrol used as 500HP engines are far from efficient. Hell even a small engine is no where near as efficient at creating that kind of power as a power station

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Even though getting power from the power station is more efficient then using an ICE, shifting the demand to a coal fired power plant is not the idea either. What switching to electric only vehicles will eventually do is enable them to be charged from green sources as they become available (you can't do that with ICE). There is no doubt that the power/torque of electric vehicles is a capapble contender to an ICE, but we will see a massive improvement when electric storage becomes better and lighter... it will happen.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Since this car will be selling for $100,000+, I suppose Mercedes and AMG can afford to heavily engineer this car. Either way, here's to hoping that these technologies will eventually filter its way down to average cars.

G

Ok so this means real brands are making them now, everyone will follow.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Batteries aren't up to snuff yet. A more sensible solution for today's technology is a gasoline-electric or diesel-electric. Volvo is doing it.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
0-60 in 4 seconds sounds slow for that much power, though I'm glad to see a company using a motor for each wheel rather than a typical drivetrain. However, what I want to see more is a car like this but as a turbine/electric hybrid where the turbine only generates electricity for the electric motors and not mechanically connected to the wheels or producing thrust. Turbines are very efficient when spinning at a constant RPM, of course there is the extremely hot exhaust to consider

kingraven

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
"can hit 100kph in four seconds". Guys, that's 0-100 in 4 secs seems faster to me not slower. also the values are in Kilometer per hour, your ratings of 0-60 in 3,7s don't state units (maybe that's the confusion?).

Status
Not open for further replies.