merging large files

Solution
In Windows Explorer you can enable the file extension (Google for how).

However, the ONLY thing that makes sense to me would be merging VIDEO files. For that, there's a program called MKVMERGE which works quite will though the first time it's a bit tricky as you use the "APPEND" feature. You can find a HELP file likely though.

The program's main feature is merging video, audio, and subtitles together which is a separate thing.
In Windows Explorer you can enable the file extension (Google for how).

However, the ONLY thing that makes sense to me would be merging VIDEO files. For that, there's a program called MKVMERGE which works quite will though the first time it's a bit tricky as you use the "APPEND" feature. You can find a HELP file likely though.

The program's main feature is merging video, audio, and subtitles together which is a separate thing.

Solution

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

just 2 files i'm trying to merge to test something out

all i can tell is that the files aren't things to open/edit or read, but is used by e.g. "GUI"

normally these kinds of files could be opened with hexeditor, i tried using winmerge but told me the files were to big

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

i want to also merge these 2 files
(meaning changing/adding missing parts from one file to the other)

USAFRet

Illustrious

Without knowing what type of files these are, it is impossible to say how, or if...

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

i know that you can check the difference between any files (e.g. hexeditor) and move/change from one file to another with winmerge but it only works if there small, i need a program thats free and can merge 2 large files

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

its more of a file-file (meaning files that don't have a specific program to open, but are used by for example a gui)

i'm trying to move some parts of one file to another.
because both files are most part the same, but with some difference (for e.g. one of them has more some data and te other doesn't or vis versa)

i want to merge these 2 files (add/change from one another)
i want to test something

USAFRet

Illustrious
Sorry, but this still isn't making a lot of sense to me.

2 files:

AAAAAAAA
BBBBB
DDDDDDDD

AAAAAAAA
CCCCC
DDDDDDDD

Mostly the same, with minor differences. What should the end result be?
Merge them, and which wins? The B's or the C's?
There are many applications that can show you the difference, or can tell you that they are the same or different, but I am not aware of anything that can 'know' how to merge like that.

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

i know that hexeditor in winmerge is used to open certain files
from there you can see the difference between the two

what i want is a program that can see the difference and show it in hex (needs to support large files like 400MB), winmerge gives me a error when i try to open these files and try to compare them

i want to create a new file combined of the 2 previous ones, i want to move the missing parts of the 500MB file into the 400MB

Did you actually read when you quoted USAFret? How would you merge
File1: ABABABAB
File2: BABABABA

For starter, check XVI32 Hex Editor. You can open two instances (one for each file), and use WinMerge to see where your files differe, and copy/paste the parts. And then, cross your fingers that resulting file will have any meaning for the application which uses it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

What are the system specs you're doing this on?
Supposedly WinMerge can do it. Maybe your system can't. Open 1 file at a time....does it still happen?