Question Metabox digital jack Microphone not working when headphones plugged in

Jul 30, 2020
Hi all,

Just grabbed a Metabox Alpha-X NH58DD and it's been working well for me, with one curious exception.

My computer features 2 seperate 3.5mm audio jacks - one for headphones, one for microphones. My microphone (currently managed by Realtek) works fine when I have nothing plugged into these jacks, but whenever I plug in my headphones (with no microphone), the microphone cuts out and will refuse to receive audio.

My headphones don't have a microphone attached to them - on my old computer, I just used my headphones and the inbuilt laptop microphone and that worked fine. Taking a look at the microphone settings, I've noticed that my microphone has two jacks associated with it - the front panel one and the digital jack - so my current suspicion is that it's automatically switching over to the (unused) front panel jack when it realises that a headphone's plugged in.

Apparently there's something in the realtek HD audio manager that might help, but that software didn't come with the drivers - I've got this sound blaster cinema 6 instead, which isn't super helpful.

Does anyone know a way of forcing the computer to use the digital jack when the headphones are plugged in? I'm thinking if there's some way I can split the two jacks into separate microphones, I might be able to get something done there.

Thanks for reading this, and if you could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 3
G Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
Graybush Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
Y Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 5
G Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 3