Metallica's Ulrich and Napster's Parker No Longer at Odds

Status
Not open for further replies.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I... i forgive him. I guess. But some trully crappy music came from that band right after the whole debate started. Were those drums or garbage cans, Lars?

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I really lost interest in Metallica during that whole mess and never really cared for there music after that. I still have and like there music before that time but not after.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Was a huge Tallica fan before all that garbage but after couldn't even be bothered to pirate their music they went after their own fans.

nlreynolds80

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Lars is right. It DID become them versus their fans. After being banned from Napster because of Metallica, I gave away all their CDs (I owned all but one at the time) and never looked back. Judging from their recent work I think I made a good choice.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I still have metallica S & M in my playlists that rotate in my car, i liked their music but when the whole napster thing happened i stopped buying thier cd's (note i also didn't download thier music as i was and still do pay for music, their responce just left a bad taste in my mouth so i stopped patronizing them)

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Wow, surely I can't be the only Metallica fan left out there? Sure the push against Napster hurt their image, but in a time of pioneering new music sharing, it was a big change. I mean at the time there were cassette decks specifically designed for dubbing cassette to cassette or even CD to cassette. No on really went after that from what I recall. But I can understand and appreciate their stance on having copyright music freely shared like this. In the end I supported Napster, but I never turned my back on the band. I still enjoy all faces & eras of Metallica.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Like almost all who commented here so far, I was a huge Metallica fan right up the point Metallica turned on their fans in the most dickheaded fashion possible. It became instantly obvious they were all about money and not about the music. Fans quickly understood that Metallica were nothing more than total corporate whores, simply a 'product' designed to siphon as much money as possible into the pockets of people who already have more money than they knew what to do with. Never listened to them after 1999.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
oh my god, i have to comment on that picture...
who would EVER want a death magnetic branded headphones? what will they do, make the music sound worse than the producers?

[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]So what did change in the end of all of this, effectively?[/citation]

for one, control of the music.
walmart stopped being as important, (it was 70-90% of your sales prior to digital)
bands cant pad albumes anymore for money (how many cds have you bought where you like one or 2 songs?)
and really, bands dont need to sign with a major label to go places anymore, but admitting it is easier to work with them than outside of them.

[citation][nom]zakaron[/nom]Wow, surely I can't be the only Metallica fan left out there? Sure the push against Napster hurt their image, but in a time of pioneering new music sharing, it was a big change. I mean at the time there were cassette decks specifically designed for dubbing cassette to cassette or even CD to cassette. No on really went after that from what I recall. But I can understand and appreciate their stance on having copyright music freely shared like this. In the end I supported Napster, but I never turned my back on the band. I still enjoy all faces & eras of Metallica.[/citation]

because back than we were legally allowed to make backups of our purchased goods, as tapes if you remember, wear the hell out after even the first play. i believe the dmca stopped allowing us to make personal backups.

but metalica, back than, came off as a sell out band who was only in it for the money, and that image hurt them a hell of allot more than if their music was freely distributed.

[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]Like almost all who commented here so far, I was a huge Metallica fan right up the point Metallica turned on their fans in the most dickheaded fashion possible. It became instantly obvious they were all about money and not about the music. Fans quickly understood that Metallica were nothing more than total corporate whores, simply a 'product' designed to siphon as much money as possible into the pockets of people who already have more money than they knew what to do with. Never listened to them after 1999.[/citation]

they were quoted as saying how much they despised the whole music video making process and that if they ever made another, they were selling out. so for the second music video they made, that is when they sold out completely, i believe if im right they also changed their style of music to be more mainstream too, so some people call that the moment they sold out also.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
I don't begrudge anyone for the desire to make more money. However, customer loyalty is also quite important. Lars only saw the dollars on the surface. He didn't see how generating good will could sell more albums than what he would lose from pirating or losing loyal customers. He went after the small money while losing the big one.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
People need to relax.
Metallica have always made great music, I have never used napster and own every CD they have released and seen them live (great concert - 2010). I could not care less about about the something that happened 12 years ago and as a fan who loves holding the CD and artwork, I could not see what the fuss was about.

I dont think metallica was trying to rip fans off. I dont see how people complain. Want the new CD, buiy it like everyone else (maybe that makes me old fasion).

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]techy74[/nom]People need to relax.Metallica have always made great music, I have never used napster and own every CD they have released and seen them live (great concert - 2010). I could not care less about about the something that happened 12 years ago and as a fan who loves holding the CD and artwork, I could not see what the fuss was about.I dont think metallica was trying to rip fans off. I dont see how people complain. Want the new CD, buiy it like everyone else (maybe that makes me old fasion).[/citation]

they sued a 4 year old and a dead grandma
instead of going after the people resonsible for uploading it, they went after teh fans who got it in a time when piracy was just going mainstream enough for everyone to know what it is, but not reconize it as stealing.

there is a major disconnect from indie bands who want their music out by any means necessary, piracy be damned, and people like metalica who heard people pirated their music and went straight to layers.

yea... i lose all respect for metalica as a band after that and it did sully their past work knowing what douches they were. some people can look past their stains, but sadly i cant.

and i could never buy their recent stuff ans the loud war killed any quality that came from it, and by some mistake guitar hero got the non loud edited versions of their songs from i believe death magnetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyIACDCc1I

that alone made me not want to buy any of their music any more... let along the fact i believe their best is behind them.

[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]I don't begrudge anyone for the desire to make more money. However, customer loyalty is also quite important. Lars only saw the dollars on the surface. He didn't see how generating good will could sell more albums than what he would lose from pirating or losing loyal customers. He went after the small money while losing the big one.[/citation]

back than the studies werent around, but now... piracy tends to boost sales.
you can look at japan for a more real world example, when they put the law forward to criminalize piracy with what, 2 years in jail, music sales also fell quite a bit.

not advocating piracy, just pointing out it isn't satan.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
They really wrote crap after the Napster fiasco, Death Magnetic was a sloppy "return-to-form". They tried to be "trendy" in the 90s and their music went stupid with Load/Reload. TBA has a few songs that can stand the test of time. The REAL albums are Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...and Justice For All. Seems like Napster was a cry for money since Metallica hadn't written a good album since 1988.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Metallica lost my respect long before that with their "Load" album. The black Metallica was still bearable, but everything after that is just pop music for me...

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I use to be a really big metallica fan back in the day, but everything after and justice for all was terrible. I think a big part of the change of sound in that period was also the death of their original bass player, which no one seems to have mentioned. He died on tour after master of puppets, and they wrote and justice for all with a new bass player, but even that wasnt as good as previous. Without his influence they took a turn for the worse.

G

you people claiming you liked metallica until they took on napster: yeah right. you ain't no fan.

oh yeah, you showed metallica they were wrong by continuing to steal music.

can you have less respect for artists if you steal their product day in and day out?

who are you into now? i hope they have plenty of alternative forms of revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.