Metro Version of IE 10 Will Be "Plugin Free"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I tried the Developer Preview and the Metro UI was far from an immerser experience, the most important part of which is the lack of plug-ins for Metro IE10 (youtube doesn't fall back on HTML5 yet). I guess somebody will hack it to enable plug-ins, or at least I hope so. Other then that, I was expecting a Media Centre style file browser and other stuff. Still, it handled pretty well for a preview version. I hope they change a lot of stuff before releasing it. Otherwise I wouldn't run this on my tablet.

akopp21

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
IE 9 already has two versions, "Internet Explorer" and "Internet Explorer (64-bit)". So does that mean IE 10 will have two versions of each of those?

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Would Microsoft stop going against the grain with IE already! Seriously, MS didn't give one reason in the article for the need to do this. I guess they are trying to be more like Apple and control how people use their software.

Seriously, after using IE9 for sometime I am realizing just how crappy and incompatible it is with a lot of sites. This site for example, you can never post on ... IE9 just hangs.

"For what these sites do, the power of HTML5 makes more sense, especially in Windows 8 apps," Gee thanks for giving us your opinion Microsoft. So because you think this is what's best, you go ahead and control our user experience instead of letting us choose?

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]akopp21[/nom]IE 9 already has two versions, "Internet Explorer" and "Internet Explorer (64-bit)". So does that mean IE 10 will have two versions of each of those?[/citation]

2 versions, yet both still suck :)

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I guess Microsoft is trying its best to keep the pattern. Release some crap that really sucks (Windows ME). Released a revised, more user friendly version that people actually want (Windows XP). Release another POS OS that nobody wants (Windows Vista). Release something worth buying again (Windows 7). Release something that totally sucks (Windows 8 with this POS MetroUI)....

Lets all start looking forward to Windows 9, I guess? I bet it'll kick ass.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
shajklhdcfasjkfhaskl
I hate that everyone thinks we need to get rid of all plug-ins... While HTML 5 and JavaScript MAY be able to do some of the same things flash does... the bottom line is it can't do everything.

The YouTube player is a perfect example... why do you think YouTube hasn't switched over to using HTML 5 for their videos?! It wouldn't be hard... It's because HTML 5 offers no form of protection for the content. If YouTube switched to HTML5 for video playback then all you would have to do is right click > view source > find the video tag > now you know the URL to the video and can download it. Can't do the same with flash... (although there are much harder ways...)

Microsoft... stop following Apple.

G

[citation][nom]aredeecee[/nom]No more blocking ads, all about MS controlling/forcing content[/citation]
Try Fanboy's IE 9 adblock and tracking protection lists. Works exactly as adblock on ffox.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]I tried the Developer Preview and the Metro UI was far from an immerser experience, the most important part of which is the lack of plug-ins for Metro IE10 (youtube doesn't fall back on HTML5 yet). I guess somebody will hack it to enable plug-ins, or at least I hope so. Other then that, I was expecting a Media Centre style file browser and other stuff. Still, it handled pretty well for a preview version. I hope they change a lot of stuff before releasing it. Otherwise I wouldn't run this on my tablet.[/citation]
For me, the Metro UI is more a detraction from the OS. In the developer preview, it appears they've tried to hide the legacy control panel from the user. I'm running it in a VM as I don't care to risk my stable Win7 install just for a dev preview. It does appear to scale it's performance with CPU count fairly well, which was nice to see. I think my VM install is damaged though as if I attempt to access any system settings it immediately locks up the VM. I'll reload it later and see if anything changes.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Seriously, every single comment is people moaning about MS doing this, if they decided to do nothing at all and simply keep IE9 with it myriad plugins you would be up in arms.

They just can't please you people.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Seriously, every single comment is people moaning about MS doing this, if they decided to do nothing at all and simply keep IE9 with it myriad plugins you would be up in arms.They just can't please you people.[/citation]

It's more about choice than anything. Don't force something on me, I can make my own decision (in this case the decision is made for you if you want to use the Metro App) . And Microsoft has always had this attitude with IE, to go against web standards and do whatever the hell they want. I realize this is a bit different, but to me it's still MS pulling it's old shenanigans with IE again.

If you were a web developer or designer you would understand how annoying this is.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I saw "Metro" in the headline and thought "2033" or "Last Light" and then read the rest of the headline. This comment is to register my disappointment.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]It's more about choice than anything. Don't force something on me, I can make my own decision (in this case the decision is made for you if you want to use the Metro App) . And Microsoft has always had this attitude with IE, to go against web standards and do whatever the hell they want. I realize this is a bit different, but to me it's still MS pulling it's old shenanigans with IE again. If you were a web developer or designer you would understand how annoying this is.[/citation]
This give you more choice, where exactly did you miss the bit where it said it also has full install with plugins as well as a non-plugin Metro version.

With IE9 you get one version only that drains all the life from your tablet, this gives you the option to choose.

Of course, there is no description above if you will be able to switch between the 2 versions on the same system the same way you can switch beween Metro GUI and ordinary desktop, because that would be just perfect, if you want to play online flash games switch to the full version and when you just want to post on a forum you flick back to the slim version.

Can we have that please Microsoft, Kthxbye

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tgreader[/nom]Try Fanboy's IE 9 adblock and tracking protection lists. Works exactly as adblock on ffox.[/citation]
It's also a plugin so it won't work on the metro ie10.

G

i wonder if they will block silverlight or just other paties plug ins in this metro browser
i like the association it has to metrosexual because that noun seems apt

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]I tried the Developer Preview and the Metro UI was far from an immerser experience, the most important part of which is the lack of plug-ins for Metro IE10 (youtube doesn't fall back on HTML5 yet). I guess somebody will hack it to enable plug-ins, or at least I hope so. Other then that, I was expecting a Media Centre style file browser and other stuff. Still, it handled pretty well for a preview version. I hope they change a lot of stuff before releasing it. Otherwise I wouldn't run this on my tablet.[/citation]

There are two versions. One that will have the plugins and the Metro that wont have the plugins.

BTW, don't judge by the Developer Previews. The first one thats judgeable is always the beta. The Previews always are just the functionality first.

Either way I think its a positive step in the right direction. I am sure if Mozilla decided to do this everyone would be happy.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]aredeecee[/nom]No more blocking ads, all about MS controlling/forcing content[/citation]

You can probably still block adds with the built in Tracking Protection, like in IE9. Its not a plugin and uses the exact same script as Ad Block Plus for FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.