mHotspot Can Create a Chain of Access Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauRoman

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Daisy chaining requires one critical thing which has not been said in this article. Either all chained laptops should have two wifi cards or every other chain link is alternatively wifi-to-wifi or eth-to-eth. A wifi card can't be both client and server at the same time. It is the same thing as having your phone set as mobile hotspot while at the same time using it to connect to a wifi router. In case you're wondering... you CAN'T.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I have not been one to use this method,even though it is a good idea in one respect. I just rather have point of access & that is it. I'd rather have straight access to the modem via WiFi or cable & I don't even like to go through a server at my place.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
why don't people just buy another WiFi router?

there cheap anyway

and even if you don't have another phone socket, you can always run cat 5 in your walls to another router

G

we dont need two wifi cards, its working on my laptop (g550,it has only one card).
ps:
i dont know about that server and client thing

G

i've been chainging computers using other programs for a couple years now. performance gets horrible after 3-4 hops... nothing new here.

G

What's stopping me from doing this with Connectify? I'm sure it already can.

Also, the UI seems a bit wonky. I don't like that it wants you to use Windows network sharing in addition to its own ... pedestrian ... interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.