Mic Stuck on Digital Jack - Won't change to the external analog plug.

Perringaiden

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
I have an ASUS RoG G501JW laptop. It has a Realtek internal sound card, with a built in microphone and speakers, as well as a 4-connector analog out.

No matter what I try, the Microphone stays set to Digital Jack (the in-built microphone), even when I plug in a varied list of headsets, splitters and the like. I've bought 3 headsets with a single connector as required, using the 4-band 3.5mm connector. One expensive set, originally to be used, and 2 cheapies just to see if it was the headset. I've also bought a splitter that takes a 4-band connector, and splits it into a 3 band stereo headset connector, and a 2 band mono microphone connector. Nether works.

I've tried to find a way to connect to the Analog microphone but the version of Realtek HD Audio Manager appears to be somehow neutered on the RoG devices, and displays a very limited set of options. I can't find a setting to manually adjust the input jack and it remains simply as Digital Jack.

The headsets audio out works fine every time. Plug it in and I can hear everything, it switches from the inbuilt speakers to the jack.

However the mic has one of two responses:

a) The inbuilt monitor mic remains active.
b) The microphone stops receiving *any* sound from any location.

Has anyone encountered this and have solutions?

Solution
I am assuming you have gone into the control panel and set the internal mic to disabled?

Also, while they should work, many dual input/output jacks seems to not work well on laptops. I have asked numerous manufacturers about the issue, but never get a good straight answer. Hence my suggestion of using a USB adapter.

Perringaiden

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017

There are plenty of other peripheral options, but the point is that it should work. Adding additional peripherals hanging off a laptop, instead of the headset I'm carrying anyway for my phone, is less desirable, and the system should work as desired. Its more about correcting the fault than finding a workaround. I've used workarounds for a number of months already, but having additional USB connections because something doesn't work as it is supposed to, is frustrating.

I am assuming you have gone into the control panel and set the internal mic to disabled?

Also, while they should work, many dual input/output jacks seems to not work well on laptops. I have asked numerous manufacturers about the issue, but never get a good straight answer. Hence my suggestion of using a USB adapter.

Solution

Perringaiden

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017

As far as I can see there isn't an independent "internal mic" but rather the soundcard is designed to switch inputs. Which means disabling the internal mic disables all the access to the mic. From all the reading I've done in the last day or two the end result seems to be "It sucks, it doesn't work, find another option". :-(

While disabling the internal should still allow an external to work, things don't always work as they should. Sadly, as I mentioned before, they are getting bad about putting in parts that have issues and not seeming to care that they do. It seems to be a common trend in a lot of products. Sad really.