Micropayments May Come to Google News

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I will never pay for news again. The beauty of the internet is free information. If this program is initiated, I'll just avoid it altogether.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
That is a little naive. It is that kind of attitude that propagates mis-information as well. I would happily pay for news knowing that facts were checked and research was done, in essence good reporting. I would also pay for Tom's to get ad-free access to the site and I believe very much in supporting services and publications that I trust and enjoy. I pay for a Wired magazine subscription also but normally bypass it and read it online.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I will just go to free websites, check Information Clearing House for that matter... I get enough Big Brother on my TV if I want it ( and I have to pay for it, too), for real news I go online. Besides, if I really like the news site I can always donate money to them, is my way of supporting what I believe is good news and pretty much all the sites have a donation link. And yes, for the online/computer community, open pretty much means free, and the blokes at Google of course they know that...
I believe someone at Google might need a 10th Ferrari.../joke

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
The only time I would pay for anything related to news is paying to see the nightly news (and current affairs programs) go off the air.

I don't watch the news 'cos I would rather be uninformed than mis-informed.

G

Yeah, it had nothing to do with propaganda and outright lies, no sir, the mean old internet killed the American press. They trumpeted every lie the Bush administration ever told, and ridiculed the bloggers who were right all along. Let them all go out of business, Faux Newz first...

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Why don't the newspapers charge Google instead of charging the consumer? In fact, charge all the aggregators that pull their content into their news feeds. That way the papers get paid and Google/Yahoo/Microsoft/etc get web traffic visiting their sites and we, the consumer, still get the news the way we expect to see it, free.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pullmyfinger123[/nom]i'm all for payments if it could somehow make fox news shut up for a day[/citation]
Oh please. Fox News may be right of center, but it's still decent news. The big 3 tend to range from medium to far left of center and don't even bother to fact-check stories if they're coming from the left. And don't even get me started on CNN and MS-NBC... those channels aren't just left of center, they're left of Karl Marx! Probably explains why their ratings are in the tank.

Is it not possible to have a news outfit where the reporting is divorced of obvious political bias? Or do people actually like having a "flavor" to their news?

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Oh please. Fox News may be right of center, but ... CNN and MS-NBC... those channels aren't just left of center, they're left of Karl Marx![/citation]

Wow, if Sean Hannity is just slightly right of center then Karl Rove and Dick Cheney are life-long Democrats.

The point shouldn't be which network is MORE biased, they all have commentary that spins the news one way or the other. I stopped watching TV news a decade ago because of this, but I have found BBC and Reuters provide a decent example of objective reporting. PBS is pretty fair, but they don't have the budget to cover breaking news. It's sad when you need to go to Europe for unbiased reporting on US politics, but Fox and MSNBC continue to shout their way to higher ratings by pandering to the wingnuts on both sides.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mactruck[/nom]Wow, if Sean Hannity is just slightly right of center then Karl Rove and Dick Cheney are life-long Democrats.The point shouldn't be which network is MORE biased, they all have commentary that spins the news one way or the other. I stopped watching TV news a decade ago because of this, but I have found BBC and Reuters provide a decent example of objective reporting. PBS is pretty fair, but they don't have the budget to cover breaking news. It's sad when you need to go to Europe for unbiased reporting on US politics, but Fox and MSNBC continue to shout their way to higher ratings by pandering to the wingnuts on both sides.[/citation]
I don't consider Sean Hannity slight right of center... nor do I consider him NEWS. I wasn't talking about the pundits and the ideologs, I'm just talking about straight news. I agree with you that TV news pretty much sucks. I'll watch the local news every few days just for the local stories, but I rarely watch national news. I also agree that Reuters is pretty good (I don't know about BBC news, though I do love British comedy shows).

Status
Not open for further replies.