Solved! Microphone and Headphone jack

Mar 15, 2020
Hello! I ordered a gaming headset, I thought it was a usb headset but it has a audio and microphone jack. And my laptop has only one jack. But I figured my monitor has a headphone jack, so is it possible to use the microphone jack on my laptop and the audio jack on the monitor? (monitor connected to laptop using HDMI)

Solution
That really wouldn't work. You have a few options.
  1. Return it and purchase a USB headset instead.
  2. Get a dual 3.5MM to single 3.5mm adapter and use the single 3.5mm port. (This will work only if the port is input/output.)
  3. Get a dual 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect through the USB port instead.
The adapters, should you chose to go that route, are usually pretty reasonably priced, however be sure you compare the cost of the added part over exchange the headset for a USB one. Getting a different headset (and returning the other) may be cheaper overall.
  2. Get a dual 3.5MM to single 3.5mm adapter and use the single 3.5mm port. (This will work only if the port is input/output.)
The adapters, should you chose to go that route, are usually pretty reasonably priced, however be sure you compare the cost of the added part over exchange the headset for a USB one. Getting a different headset (and returning the other) may be cheaper overall.

Reactions: kazuidp
Solution
Mar 15, 2020
Thank you! I'll try to go with the adapter one, since I think it's less of a loss for me that way.