Microphone picking up everything

Nate_14

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
I recently got an blue snowball ice, in hopes it will be better than a ordinary headset...
But apparently not it's about the same audio quality and picks up keyboard even more than the headset.
And other sounds like mouse clicking/ pc fans and etc.
I'm not sure how to fix this at all.. I tried different things like noise gates and noise suppression using fraps and OBS.
I'd really prefer using fraps, but if OBS gets the job done some how.. I'm cool with using that.
Just isn't working out for me and not sure what to do.
thanks for any help at all.
Also, I set up the mic using microsoft setup for the microphone.

Solution
Unless you use a directional microphone or have a cardioid pattern where no unwanted soundsource is within the pattern, a lose microphone that is not right in your face will pick up everything around you. That's why studios have soundproofing from external sounds, and certain sound damping for the local reflections.

The first thing to realize is that distance is everything. If you can get that thing to pretty much touch your face, without you blowing air into it, that will give your voice a much louder volume compared to everything else. If you double the distance, you halve the sound-pressure of your voice.

Palewing

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Unless you use a directional microphone or have a cardioid pattern where no unwanted soundsource is within the pattern, a lose microphone that is not right in your face will pick up everything around you. That's why studios have soundproofing from external sounds, and certain sound damping for the local reflections.

The first thing to realize is that distance is everything. If you can get that thing to pretty much touch your face, without you blowing air into it, that will give your voice a much louder volume compared to everything else. If you double the distance, you halve the sound-pressure of your voice.

Solution