Microphone totally bugging out

anduin1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
So I'm not sure if he following issue is my mic or my onboard sound. I recently updated my sound drivers (~3 weeks ago) for the first time ever from the stock ones because I had become so annoyed with constantly having to readjust my settings in my audio controller. Lately though I get this thing where the background noise on my mic just skyrockets to the point that it drowns out me yelling into the mic.

06uriHX.jpg

This is an image of the sound being recorded as well as my settings for my driver under microphone. I have to use a 30dB boost because otherwise people don't hear me but I also don't have any feedback except for once in a while something might kick up. I drew the default line because that is usually where it is even with all the boost and volume being max. As you can see the green bar indicates the volume being way louder for something that should be making no noise.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-smith-325/audio-mic-problem

I recorded and uploaded it to soundcloud if any of you audio experts can let me know what the hell is up with it, I would very much appreciate it.

MotleyCrew

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Sounds like you have a ground loop. To prevent this, make sure all powered devices (external drives, speakers, etc.) that connect to your PC are powered through the same mains/wall outlet. If that doesn't help, use a process of elimination by removing one device or component at a time to locate the source. Just keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation (e.g. if the buzzing stops after disconnecting a device/component, it doesn't necessarily mean you found the source of the problem, though it's possible). I tend to forget this at times and sometimes it bites. :)