Microphone Won't Show up

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Now to be honest this isn't a laptop its a desktop computer. but considering this site doesn't have a desktop section i cannot post this there. But i'm trying to use a microphone jack plug like one of those old red microphone jack, i tried plugging it in and the desktop cannot find it. yes i tried the back side and it didn't work either. AND i tried show disabled devices still not there.
I've been trying to find a solution.
And if you ask if i built this desktop computer my self no i did not, this was prebuilt.
Also my headphones has a microphone ...it works EXCEPT i cannot hear anything so i have to disable it.
Also i have plugged it into a different computer and it worked there. but it doesnt work on this one. So what is wrong?

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Okay well after a while I found out that i needed to upgrade my sound card driver...
"Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this Setup program.
Setup will exit" i get this afterwards. how to fix?

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Its a desktop. not laptop remember? and no unfortunately its the basic one windows comes with. *High Definition Audio Device* but i am on Windows 8.1 and thats all i can really tell unless you need more info in which case i don't know where to get that from.

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015

So i honestly don't know how to fix this if i don't get a response i could wait but i get very impatient.

first: have patience. remember, this is a web forum answered by people who live all over the globe so responses may not be immediate. if you do not get an answer here you can try over on the sister site tomshardware but we would need a bit more information.

second: you need to list what exact brand of pc you have and what exact model number. in this way we can verify that you are trying to install the right drivers.

third: you mention a microphone with an old red jack. did you mean a pink 3.5mm connector which is standard on pc microphones or something different? also, you mention that your headset worked but you could not hear anything. did you mean that you saw it show up as a device but when you tried to record or listen to the device you heard nothing?

given that you say they work on another computer and do not work in either the front nor rear jacks on your pc we can rule out the devices themselves and just a faulty port on your case. generally many audio issues are due to driver problems so the first thing to try is uninstalling any audio drivers on your system and reinstalling the correct newest ones. if the newest one refuses to install we could try one of the older ones. if that does not work we could try the generic ones offered on the realtek site. if no drivers seem to be working then it could be that for some reason your onboard audio has a hardware problem in which case it may be easier for you to just use a cheap usb audio soundcard (or use a cheap internal soundcard if you prefer being able to use the jacks on your pc case)

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015

I know its drivers. Because it automatically has "High Definition Audio Device"
i'm using an XPS 420. And i have no idea what the motherboard type is.

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015

Now hold on a minute i can't HEAR anything when my MICROPHONE is on, on my headset *its wireless headphones* so i have to disable the microphone on default or i can't hear ANYTHING at all until i disable that. And yes i am trying to use a pink jack to plug into my computer...the reason WHY i'm trying to use it is because all my USB microphones broke because they are the crap kind of microphones.

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Go here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-420/drivers

Download all of the drivers you are missing (to include those that do not have to deal with sound, such as chipset/bios, etc.) and install them. Reboot, try plugging in your mic adapter and let us know what you get.

Most likely what is happening is that the audio drivers are actually working correctly, just something went haywire on the win8.1 or chipset, So after you install your chipset drivers, reinstall your audio drivers and you should be good to go. Good luck and let us know.

Additional info:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-420/manuals
Some troubleshooting steps and known issues plus the manuals.

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase?c=us&l=en&s=dhs#Issue6
Dell's helpdesk/technical support

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015

I already got the chipset I can't reinstall the sound drivers because it gave me a message i listed in another comment.
"Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this Setup program.
Setup will exit"

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Anyways i already installed the chipset driver but its not helping me with my sound driver problem AKA "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this Setup program.
Setup will exit" so what do i do for this because i don't know i tried looking for help on this but none of them seem to be there or work.

aaron5015

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Okay guys we can forget about this entirely. my headphone's mic does work. i just need to disable the headphones option in Sound and enable headset and headset under recording and sound But the downside is that the audio quality becomes crap. like anything that goes on my computer will sound like... bad quality.